F-4 "what if" suggestion wanted

I'm going to be away from home for a month as from next Thursday, so I intended to get all my projects finished before then. Unfortunately, the MPM Meteor was such a fun build that I finished it way ahead of schedule. Now I have nothing to build! I spent today replacing the pitot tubes on the fins of my F-4s with metal ones and building a whole load of Sidewinder noddy caps out of the stems of Baby Buds (aka Q-Tips).

But I still want to build something quick and simple. I have enough spare components to build a complete F-4 (taken from the old Hasegawa and Italeri kits).

So, does anyone have a suggestion for a plausible "what if" scheme? Something that an F-4 *could* have worn, but never did. Not a natural metal scheme (which means no Canadian Voodoo replacements - that's a project for another time!), because I want to bang it out in about four days.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

How about Ar Superiority Blue ala F-15 or the white & lt blue "sky & cloud" (since I don't know what it was really called) scheme seen on one F-16?

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
frank

An RAF training scheme with lots of dayglo would suit the Phantom. Raspberry Ripple might also look good on it. Alternatively, the Aeronavale scheme worn by Etendard IVs might look nice.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Ooh! He shoots! He *scores* !

That's it... an Air Superiority Blue scheme, complete with orange hi-vis panels. I even have some of those odd roundels that F-15s used. Thanks Frank.

The story behind it is that it was a radar testbed in the F-15 programme. :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

There actually *was* a Phantom FGR2 in the Raspberry Ripple scheme. I have a set of Modeldecals for it. I might consider putting one of my Fujimi kits in that scheme. See how easily manipulated I am? ;-)

One scheme that I *do* have planned is the intermediate Air Defence scheme. As part of the trial for the AD scheme, one aircraft, XV418, was painted in the three-greys scheme, but it had large pale roundels, rather than the more usual small roundels. All the stencilling was in black as well.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I would like to see an F4 done up as a Navy trainer in the red / white scheme similar to the F9 Cougars. - or in the 1930's schemes of the Boeing F4B-4 / P-12E

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Jack G wrote: - or in the 1930's schemes of the Boeing

This actually quite a fun idea. Some years ago I built both an F-80 and an F-84 in the "1930's scheme." If I recall correctly, the Shooting Star had an O.D. body with the yellow wings and the Thunderjet had a blue body with the yellow wings. The hardest part of the whole process was deciding what color to paint the wing tanks.

With the "correct" insignia decals added - the star with the red center

- they actually looked quite interesting.

Unfortunately, they were lost in one of our moves......

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

Woo hoo!! But, don't do the orange. Just the blue & 'low vis' markings.

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
frank

Always thought it would be fun to do a Martin B-57 up as a Martin B-10 in the Blue and Yellow scheme...

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

Why not? Our Voodoos spent their last years wearing a very light grey similar to Boeing #707 grey (which is also what the E3 Sentry wears).

If you don't want to do that, you could use the scheme worn by CF-18s, or the very interesting pale blue-grey disruptive scheme that the CF-5s sported. If those options don't turn your crank, there's the overall dark green or the disruptive NATO green/grey that CF-104s wore in Europe.

Reply to
Jessie C

OK... I have a bone to pick with Canada.

STOP PUTTING YOUR MILITARY AIRCRAFT IN ATTRACTIVE COLOUR SCHEMES!

It's just not right....! Firstly there are the natural metal CF-104s, with white wing upersurfaces and red tails. Then there are, as you say, the European schemes. The green/grey scheme is pretty much an RAF scheme, but it looks so good on a CF-104. The overall green scheme *should* be boring, but it isn't because of the subtle way that various panels faded and were repainted. That scheme is a challenge to replicate (I've recently done it in

1/72).

Then of course, there are those wonderful schemes for Canadair Sabres, the CF-5 scheme that you mentioned and the post-war RCN scheme for Seafires and Sea Furies. They all look great. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

frank smirked:

I'm fascinated by single colour overall schemes. They could easily be boring if you simply spray that single colour over everything. In order to make them look good you have to do some subtle shading of panels and panel lines. They are a challenge to do properly.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that with this model, because it is supposed to be a quick and easy project. Therefore I'm going to use the orange to break up the scheme.

Here's the story behind the aircraft.

In the early 70s, three F-4E aircraft were converted to F-4T standard for use as flying test bed aircraft. They were in a strange mutant configuration. They were given the later slatted wing but without the wingtip ECM bulges. In order to provide a larger electronics bay, the F-4E nose was replaced by a recce nose with the recce windows plated over.

The aircraft were delivered to Edwards AFB where they were painted overall white with red panels on the wings and fin. One aircraft was used to test various systems for the F-15 programme. When the F-15s joined the test programme, the F-4T was painted in the original F-15 scheme of air superiority blue with orange panels on the wings and tail.

Should look good sat next to my RAF F-16K Falcon GR3.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

And I didn't even mention all the anniversary aircraft...

A "Hawk One" Phantom? Hmmmmmmmm

Reply to
Jessie C

I don't do anniversary and other special markings. I much prefer ordinary line jets.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

They went to many NATO countries, why not do one from one of those that didn't get it, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands og maybe an F-4 Phantom in swedish splinter camo?

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I have to complete it by Wednesday, so the Swedish splinter cam is out. But an F-4 in that colour scheme would look absolutely stunning!!! Next time I do a "what if" F-4, it's going to be in that scheme!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

In the words of one CF aircaft painter I know - "you never really know how BIG and airplane is until you have to paint it gloss white"...

Reply to
Rufus

Me too.

Reply to
Rufus

Or a 439 tigerbird, or a 441 Checkerbird. Even the CF-18 scheme with the huge red maple leaf over the centre fuselage would look stunning on a rhino...

Reply to
Jessie C

Or a 'Red Indian' as on the CF-104.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.