Finnish Fokker D.XXI "Mercury" model and location of fuselage MGs?

Hi,

I have another quite newbie question, which I can't find answer from the Internet - yet. I know I'll find help here.

Finnish airforce used Fokker D.XXIs (both Mercury and Wasp models) during WWII. Wasp had four machineguns mounted to wings, but Mercury had only two of them mounted to wings and another two to fuselage? The question: What's the exact location of those two fuselage mounted MGs?

Reply to
Stalin Eilen

It took me almost through all my source material but I found it! They fire through the cylinders on the lower fuselge sides just above the wing. I have confirmation in a Polish language book on the type. On page 14 there's a picture of a Fokker with the cowling off. The English caption is very terse but there's a lot more in the Polish about the synchronised FN-Browning M-36 7.92mm machine gun.

The book is "Fokker D XXI" by Janusz Ledwoch, Wydawictwo Militaria, Warsaw 1995, ISBN 83-86209-34-8.

I'd become convinced that that was about the only place where they could be mostly because they didn't show up in photos. All my cutaways were for the 4-gun winged versions.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thank you very much!

Reply to
Stalin Eilen

Thanks for the book info Bill. I have been looking for a companion reference for the Phalanx monograph on the Dutch/Danish DXXI's. Since they were not going to Finnish book, I needed some other source.

Appreciate it!

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

That's the ref I've got as well. Shame they didn't cover the Finnish versions. Thanks Bill,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

You're all welcome. I'm just glad I could find it. It became an item of interest to me too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller