Question About Tamiya Paint

For the first time I am going to try the technique of applying gloss varnish before decals and then matt varnish over the top.

I looked at the Tamiya paints in my local model shop (read toy shop) and what I assume is matt varnish is called Flat Base. But it looks almost opaque and very gloopy - the teenager 'in charge' of the shop didn't seem to have a clue.

So my very simple question - is Tamiya Flat Base (X21) the same as Matt Clear Varnish?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Tamiya flat base is meant to be mixed with glossy paints so they will go on flat,although it can be mixed with Future/Klear to make a flat overcoat. Applying it straight from the bottle will just leave you with a chalky white mess...been there done that...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

No,not quite.I believe you are supposed to add the flat base to clear(gloss?) varnish to make it matt.

neil.

Reply to
mumbles

Thanks, that must be why it looks so gloopy. So a couple of furthsre questions:

(i) Is mixing it with Tamiya clear gloss a good way to make matt varnish or should I be using something else ?

(ii) Assuming it is a good approach, what ratio should be used to get a matt finish ?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

(1) Yes you can mix it with Tamiya CLear Gloss, which is probably more advisable as it is more compatoble. I used to use Humbrol's Matt acrylic varnish which wroekd a treat, failing that their Mattcote which is oil based. The old Aeromaster vanrishes were also good.

(2) I always found the ratios to be a little hit and miss. Bst to mix up a batch and try it on a junk model. And do make sure you shake that flat base thourough;y so as to get rid of any little flecks.

Reply to
Jonathan M

No, Flat Base is an additive. Mix it with other Tamiya acrylics, including the clear and transparents, to change them from gloss to flat; the more you add, the flatter the result, up to a point.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

I remember this as my first question ever posted when I first found this group! I use the flat base as an additive to Future. Find what ratios would work for you, but I found that you can mix the Flat Base in just enough to make a satin-like sheen, or more in to make a killer-dull paint.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

As others have said, it is an additive, used to make the glossier Tamiya colors, a little less glossy. Have you tried Polly Scale acrylic flat? I find it to be wonderful; and many others give it high marks also.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Ratio: Not very scientific, but I use about 1 part base to 4 parts gloss both then mixed with 50% thinner. It doesn't take much. However, as always, experimentation is best.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray