First Price Seen for 1/24 Mosquito - OUCH !

this one's gonna be a hard one to justify. I'm sure there will be different prices but I doubt a whole lot lower than this. Oh well.

Craig

1/24 Scale Aircraft

Airfix 1/24 Scale Aircraft

ARX25001 Mosquito Fighter Verison (DUE Dec. 2009) Retail $245.00 PreOrder $189.99

Reply to
Musicman59

Musicman59 wrote in news:7b721e15-1cb6-4c02-b0be- snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

They are trying to compete with Trumpeter. They should be competeing with themselves. I was prepared to sell unbuilts to make room and money for it. But that is WAY to much.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

...I consider that the "opening shot across the bow". I held out and got both my 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish and 1/32 Tamiya Type 52 Zero kits for $40...off the shelf. So we'll see...

...OTOH, I'll also start saving. Maybe it'll keep me from buying another guitar.

Reply to
Rufus

That is extortion. I don't see how it is possible to justify it. For that price I can build half a dozen or more models

Reply to
Stadia

It may be a Trumpeter price but it's still only Airfix quality. Reviews of recent Airfix releases have been less than stellar. The 1/48th TSR2 for example could easily have been made in the 1960s. Also Airfix have raised the asking price for the Mossie by more than 50% since it was first announced.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Big molds + high part count + lot of plastic + High engineering cost + limited market for product at any price = big big price tag

Reply to
R. Franklin

In my experience, Trumpeter quality isn't exactly something to shout about. The two Trumpeter kits that I've built - Gannet and Lightning F6 - have has shape issues. The Lightning's issues were quite serious, requiring the replacement of the rear fuselage and belly tank with resin items. Overpriced *and* inaccurate... :-( Sadly, the Lightning is pretty much the only game in town.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

How about 40 quid for the forthcoming Hasegawa Ki-84 repop? That's ludicrous! And nearly three times as much as I would expect.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Aw man, ignorance was bliss. Know that you told me about this, it has the #1 spot on my "want" list. Aw, crap, Airfix also has a 1/24th scale Stuka divebomber!!

Reply to
jj

i built that when it was an mpc kit. it's spartan and needs a lot to not look like a toy.

Reply to
someone

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

And the horror story I've had with getting tracks to glue together on 1/72 scale armor. Despite some nice kits and reasonable prices in this range I have been extremely hesitant to risk it again. I am even more skeptical og the high end kits goven some of the beefs I've heard.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Got the Heller version of that one - the Stuka. Should build up into a pretty fine specimen.

Reply to
Rufus

I did the MPC Spit, Me 109E, and P-51. The P-51 was the best of them as far as parts/detail, with the Spitfire second.

Reply to
Rufus

what's the heller kit like? of the stuka...?

Reply to
someone

I have the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane, which has been in my Deep Stash for about thirty years. Must get round to building that one sometime! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Good luck with that when you finally do. I've heard of a Bf109 fuselage being found twisted through ninety degrees when the box was finally opened.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Same kit, molded in what might be a slightly softer blue-gray plastic. Decals for the desert snake and a splinter scheme.

Reply to
Rufus

better decals than mpc.

Reply to