FS: Contrail XB-70 with white metal

I am selling my contrial xb-70. It is the first issue. This has all the white metal landing gears. The model has not been touched. No parts have even been pulled out of the box. There is a little dirt on the box but that is about it. The box has no damage to it just like I said a little dirty. I want 75.00 and the shipping will be what is charged by USPS. First reply with money gets it. Thanks. I am a builder not a collector.

Dan Beavers

Reply to
Dan Beavers

I thought the 2nd issue was the one that had the white metal. Didn't you have to scratchbuild on the 1st issue?

Reply to
Frank May

No. I bought one of these and they were 60.00 but I bit. I open the box and instead of the white metal parts I got a neat little slip of paper that said starting with kit #___, the white metal had been discontinued in order to save weight on shipping. No warning before I ordered and man was I pissed. Save weight on shipping? I just paid 60.00 for a few molded sheets of plastic. I think I would have ponied up another 3 bucks for added shipping instead of having to rob parts from a half dozen Phantom kits! Of course it still sits untouched in my basement too. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Frank I just remembered. When they originally released this model it was discovered that it was not really 1/72 scale. They then did another tooling so it was 1/72 and this is the one originally with the metal parts, that they stopped including. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

1/100 scale.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Still bigger than Aurora's kit at 1/116.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Yep, but smaller and possibly more expensive than the AMT/ERTL kit at 1/72.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

The first issue had the metal parts the second issue didn't. I don't know why but this one has them.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Beavers

I thought the second issue was the one released in the late '80s - early '90s. That's when I bought mine from VLS. It came with white metal gear struts & wheels. I'm pretty sure there was an article in an early - mid '70s SM or SAM about the kit, including about the actual very first issue which was 1/96 or 1/100, & the gear was scratchbuilt. There was a rash of articles about Sutcliffe's heavies back then, the Tu-20, Tu-126, & B-36. Maybe even the M-4 & M-52, but I don't recall them. I think the builder(s) used brass tubing to make the gear struts.

Reply to
famvburg