Godspeed, Tennessee Tuxedo!

Sad news of Don Adams' death...

I never was much for "Get Smart" but I did like his comic voiceovers...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

First I heard was on CBS Evening News. I guess the Cone of Silence is working now.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott III

Then that makes 3. Sad to see all the stars from my afternoon after school TV shows passing away... just making some of you feel a whole lot older ain't I. Yup.... that was the EARLY 80's it was... we wore an onion on our belt, which was the fasion of the time....

Reply to
Moi

and we called sauerkraut liberty cabbage because the kaiser had taken our r's.

I never read anything about a Navy Cross, but he *was* wounded on Iwo Jima, and very severely. He reportedly took part in about 20 beach assaults/landings. On Iwo, it is written that he was one of only five survivors from his company; and spent over a year recovering from his wounds he received there.

Read the "war record" of LBJ, as a young Congressman during the conflict...

Reply to
Greg Heilers

she has great stories about stillwell and chennault. called chiang a real asshole. i like her a lot.

I take it this is a reference to the Silver Star awarded him by McArthur for a combat mission that was never actually completed but was blown entirely out of proportion by his PO men. The ST was generally regarded as a "Political Ass Kiss" by McArthur's staff.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yes; I'm aware of LBJ's record. His Silver Star was the result of the bomber he was riding in for a tour over Australia making an emergency landing due to a mechanical problem in the "outback" somewhere. He and and the crew had to spend the night out there. When he got back, he used his influence as a congressman to pressure the award of a Silver Star. I might be missing a couple of the details but you get the picture; just another example of stolen valor and all perfectly in character for the type of man LBJ was.

Reply to
Bill Woodier