Great Blunders in Scale Modelling

My latest is the fact that I have to remove a hardened coat of future from my model.

I am modelling a wreck of the Titanic and have to remove the finish from only a section of the hull. Any ideas. There is a lot of raised rivit detail so steel wool is out of the question. I hear ammonia works, but that is something that I would have to take outside.

Feel free to post any of your greatest blunders. I have plenty. The last one would be an upside down insignia on my Tamiya Corsair. Something that got pointed out to me by about 50 guys from the binary group.

Deeman

Reply to
dereman

Two good ones come to mind:

  1. Built the Monogram Bf 109 as a night fighter. References for my chosen aircraft called for the underside of the *right* wing to be painted black, with other wing and fuselage to be light blue. With the plane upright and the tail toward my stomach, I flipped the plane over and proceeded to paint black the underside of the wing *to my right.*

  1. Years ago one of the guys brought a beautiful kettenkraftrad mounted on a winter-snow-in-the-forest diorama under glass. About 10 guys were "Oooohing" and "Aaahhing" over it. It was truly a work of art. I had recently returned to the hobby and my wife accompanied me that day out of curiosity. She took one quick look at the model and asked "Why are there only two tracks in the snow?" The place went absolutely stone-cold silent. She was the only one to pick up on the obvious. I thought the guy who built it was going to throw up.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Reply to
Rory Manton

When I was a kid I picked up the then new Airfix Hunter.

I was very thrilled with the paint job (glossy, of course) and installed the gun bay pack last after filling it with lead shot and tube cement so that the plane rested properly on the nose gear.

The next morning I looked at the finished model and found the gun bay pack melted into a glob and resting on the table under the Hunter. The fumes even crazed the cockpit canopy.

Very sad. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Rubbing alcohol will remove the Future but if the underlying paint is acrylic it will remove that too.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Is there available, some household product called "Past", which will cancel out the effects of "Future"?

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

You could try the wonder product "Present"...it involves talking your significant other into buying you a new copy! ;-)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Since Future is a gloss would that make Past a flat? :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

My latest and greatest is the convertible I tried to make out of the PL '65 Coronet. One bad thing after another seems to have happened to it and it's gotten down to the point of making some kind of custom car out of it. Just to rub the salt in well, PL has announced a convertible kit coming up. :}

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I caught mine in the making - I was building a Matchbox Danutless in 1:32, and with many of my carrier planes I fold a wing to show how that looks (and to save a little place), so here I am looking for Dauntless' with folded wings, and no pictures, so how about scratching it based on guess work. And I nearly did untill I realised that the Dauntless is one of the few, if not only US Navy plane (Carrier borne) that can't fold the wing!

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Only if you know what period into the Future so that you can apply the correct amount of Past.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Very good!