scale railway modelers here?

My model shop sells Dapol plastic kits, i belive to be v old Airfix kits.

As i work there on a Sat i noticed that the cardboard buildings sold well and the Horby plastic ones too, but not as many of the kit ones.

I thought it maybe a good idea to build them up myself, and hand paint them, i took the Steel girder bridge and engine shed. Of course i know time and paints etc but i need images of real buildings to help, i want to weather them correctly.

can anyone help with websites, same was as i do with building tanks n planes.

Also selling price comes into it, i paid £5.70 ea, now the steel girder bridge i was thinking of about £14.50 all done and maybe....£18 for tthe engine shed? i know i can do a damn better shed than Hornby offering at £14.

Not sure if to do the bridge clean and fresh but say with odd bit of rust around bolts or to do it realyl weatherd, guess actual pics come in here, in colour.

Would anyone think there is a demand? esp to those who have never or cant build. I really need to raise some cash as im sinking quicker than the titanic financually.

thanks

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Julian, I model anything that moves under its own power, and have done a few dioramas which include buildings (which don't, of course, move normally). I have built some static scale trains (plastic kits). However, I can't help with your bridge or shed problem. I do occasionally pick up an issue of Model Railroader to see what I can learn as far as techniques. I learned to weather from reading model railroading magazines.

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Buy a few of

Railway Modeller Model Rail British Railway Modeller

Reply to
Martin

yes looked at the images but most look like models, thats the trouble.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Have you looked at Model Railway Journal. The finescale stuff in there is mighty impressive.

David

Reply to
David Pennington

will take a look

Started the Dapol/Airfix water tower, huge amount of flash, shows its age. nice rivit detail but a lot of work needed

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I collect data on OO 1/76 scale railroad, vehicles, buildngs, etc. for use in ESM 72. The count for locomotives and rolling stock alone is over 280 items and growing as more items get tracked down.

Personally I am amassing N Gauge stuff for an eventual layout. Mid-1950s transtional stuff, late steam engines, early deisels. Rural town with small businesses. The old Bachmann Old Timer locomotives and rolling stock are going to serve as an excursion train, allowing the under-sized locomotives legitimate use.

The quality of buildings, vehicles and accessories n N Gauge is impressive and quickly growing.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Around 30 locos

1 HST 4 x 3 Car DMUs 1 Railbus @ 100 coaches @ 200 wagons - mainly kits
Reply to
Martin

I'm interested in OO scale model railroading. What is ESM 72? Is this data you're collecting available on the 'Net?

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

ESM 72= Encyclopedia of 1/72 Scale Models. Quarterly publication dedicated to the hands down most popular scale in the world and a followup to our original book on the subject.

Domestic subscription is $25, $30 outside the US. Just mailed out Vol.8, #1.

E-mail me for subscription information.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72