Hasegawa decals

I just finished the 72nd scale pair of VFA-102 F/A-18F's with the red tails and spines.... These must be a new process decal for Hasegawa, because they are very thin, and conform very well to curved surfaces. They also fit perfectly. Nothing at all like the old, thick decals.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Maybe the complaining finally was heard. Keep the fingers crossed.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Were these Hasegawa decals, or was this some special version with decals printed by Cartograph? And how was the white? What used to pass for white with Hasegawa's was more like cream..

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

The decals that were white over red were printed in a single piece. (The tails, for example, are one large decal with the NF codes, the squadron emblem, etc. printed in place.) They offer the option of painting the reds, and give white decals with the kit, but I didn't try those since I wanted to see how the decals were going to work. They may well be Cartograph, but I didn't notice that logo.... I have the VFA-103 Low Vis scheme kit from them, and the nearly black tails are, again, single decals. No Cartograph on the sheet, but you can tell they're very thin just by angling them in the light. Not at all like the F-4EJ Kai decals, for example.

These whites are pretty darn white. I know the cream colored ones were intended to be a "scale white" and these are, to sound like a laundry commercial, whiter whites.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad