Heller kits: soft plastic?

Hi. I just had a bad experience with a kit by Heller models (looks to
be a French company). It was a 1/72 P-51 Mustang (I have a lot of
cheapo WW2 era 1/72 kits from various countries in my kit closet.
It's fun to just go through one and do it in one weekend. Squadron
rocks). Anyways, I've gotten a little used to there being some gaps
and problems, but this kit was terrible. The plastic was so soft it
could barely hold proper shape. Several of the parts were warped to a
point such that the wings didn't even line up correcly with the
fuselage :(. After a few hours of fighting the kit I just tossed it.
My only question is: are all of Heller's kits like this, or did I just
get a bad example? It was the only one of theirs I had set aside, but
I'd basically just like to know if I should avoid them in the future.
Thanks.
Mike
Reply to
Michael Gaskins
Hi Mike,
Yes Heller is a French brand. I very well know its range, and the plastic is in general very good. Don't hesitate to contact Francis Raiser, the boss, on Heller's site and to tell him your problem. He is a really good guy and read all his messages, each day.
Cheers
Reply to
Flying Frog
I'd say you got a bad one. I built one of those and it turned out decently. I didn't encounter any of the problems that you did.
I have quite a few Heller kits in the stack and some of my earliest 1/72 models wore that brand. AFAIK they make the best PZL P.11s and 23s in 1/72 scale. I would warn you off the P-47N, though. It's not a weekend project.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
This sounds like a manufacturing defect or (more probably) a post-production problem involving excessive heat (like sitting in a semi-truck trailer in the Texas sun for a week). I have built half a dozen Heller kits and own at least another twenty--not a one of them has a problem like you described. Granted, a few Heller kits are vile in their own right, but most are not, and quality control is normally very good.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
If you mean a "rubbery" type of plastic, yeah I have noticed that with some 1/72 scale aircraft. Mike
Reply to
Mnm879
This might be a matter of taste, but personally, I prefer the softer Airfix/Heller sort of plastic over the rock hard Japanese stuff. I find it much easier to work with.
Rob
Reply to
Rob van Riel
Rob van Riel a exposé le 14/06/2004 :
Same opinion. A too breakable plastic is not pleasant to work.
Reply to
Flying Frog
I finished a Heller MS.225 (that was started in 1979!) recently.
The slightly soft plastic makes repairing thins such as snapped undercarriage really easy.
It also seems to prevent breaking of small parts a little better than harder plastic.
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
Maiesm72 a pensé très fort :
Lol :o) You are very conservative! decal sheet was ok ?
Yep, exactly the same opinion... and when you need to engrave parts, there is less risk to slip and to damage a part profoundly. Besides, I never use glue (an old custom for me), but I weld all my assemblies with the trichlo and the plastic Heller reacts very well with this (very dangerous) product. Assemblies are definitive and do not come loose with years.
Reply to
Flying Frog
Definitely..that "white Airfix plastic" is about the most pleasant and comfortable styrene to work with.
Reply to
Greg Heilers
What is trichlo? I have never heard of it before.
Reply to
TSR2
TSR2 avait écrit le 15/06/2004 :
Gloops, I don't know the English name :( It is the very powerful product which dissolves plastic and allows to realize a true weld on the parts, not a simple sticking. I will ask for the English name.
Reply to
Flying Frog
Trichlor: Trichlor ethylene.
I don't use it, it smells unpleasently. I use the toluene!!!
"Flying Frog" pí¨e v diskusním príspevku news: snipped-for-privacy@ffsmc.com...
Reply to
Danny Kramek
Après mure réflexion, Danny Kramek a écrit :
Toluene ? Do you have good trips ? :o)
Reply to
Flying Frog
Guess so. I've built vinyl figure kits that I didn't mind, but some variance in human form is acceptable. Mechanical devices like aircraft or cars need to be much more rigid IMHO. I've built a number of the Airfix kits though, and though they weren't quite as hard as some other kits, the plastic was still much more firm than the Heller stuff (which seemed pretty close to vinyl). Oh well. The kit was cheap. I'm not going to worry about it. If you guys say that their stuff in general is good then I'll just chaulk this one up to a fluke and still buy a Heller kit if I run across one that I want.
Mike
Reply to
Michael Gaskins