HELP!! Spinning prop disc's mfg. ?????

Please tell me I haven't lost my mind and I DID see an ad by a company that produces clear dics to represent spinning props. A friend asked about this and I swear I came across this not to long ago. ANY info appreciated, not only for him.but to assure myself I am not losing it. Thanks, Swede

Reply to
Krewdawg

Has a free download for spinning prop disks.

I don't know if this is good enough for what you have in mind.

Good day, F Marion

Reply to
francis marion

Heres what your looking for. Propblur

48 Spencer Lane Atherton, Ca. 94027 Attn: William Faulkner Hope this helps,Happy New Year. John
Reply to
ajsandusky

My experience has been the spinning prop discs of any type look phony. The time or two I wanted a spinning prop, I simply removed the props from the hub and let it go at that. If you are close to an airport, check the spinning props out. They tend to be less visible for some reason than they are in photos or movies. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Pretty much for the same reason that stagecoach wheels looked like they were moving backwards in Westerns. Film is shot frame-by-frame whilst human vision is continuous.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Swede, Many years back - maybe late 1960s early 1970s I was getiing back into the hobby after college. Airfix included clear disks to be used as spinning props. They were punched out of thin sheet plastic. At first I thought this was really cool - you could now have a prop plane on the stant - gear up like it was flying. They never looked right - first the edge was more visible than it should have been. Next the props in picture usually show some washed out color like the yellow tips. I tried all sorts things to get this to work - mounted one on a slow motor and tried to hold a brush with thinned paint to it. Centrifigual force won on all those attenpts. - Finally gave up. Not sure there really is a good solution to this.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Welcome to our new century! Go to

and do a search for Prop Blur. It's amazingly realistic.

To do a similar effect in a plastic disc you have to sand some concentric grooves/scratches in three or four sections of the disc. Then rub some paint in them and wipe off. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Back in the '30s some model company of the day (Skybirds) sold a spinning prop device that consisted of a watch mainspring that you would replace the propeller with. You could sort of spring it, and as it vibrated, would supply the spinning prop illusion. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Back in the '70s before Frog was sold into the Soviet union they marketed a motor to be installed in the engine nacelle that spun the prop(s). I never hunted one out as it seemed a probable gimmick.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller