HELP WATER COOLED TWIN .50

I posted a picture on alt.binaries.models.scale, please chech it, and the explanation was mising. Those are Dominican Air Force soldiers in the 50's the helmets are indeed German, as were their weapons, mostly Mauser rifles, short version. The air force was almost as well armed as the army, including tanks, M3 Suarts, and a Swedish model resembling Panzer I, M3As with 81mm mortars, and the M3As with those twins, later French AMX13. I have a collection of Dominican Air Force models and want to make thet M3 but I haven't seen pictures of those twins anywhere else.

Thanks

Jose

Reply to
Dr. Jose M. Paliza

If they are Browning .50s, as I suspect, then you may want to check out sites on US Naval armaments as the watercooled version was used on USN ships. If memory serves, one is seen in action in the movie "Tora,Tora,Tora."

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Thanks Les,

Marine defense batalions had the twins on trucks but I haven't seen such a "mount" for those shown. Unfortunately there are not many piectures available fron the time on those hallftracks.

"
Reply to
Dr. Jose M. Paliza

When did they get those helmets....from Germany in the 30's, or are they the spanish variant/semi copy that was in production for a lot longer, I think beginning in 1942? Or did DR produce their own? The Spanish version can be Id'd in a clear picture, but unfortunately this picture isn't clear enough.

Unfortunately the picture isn't clear enough to tell the difference. The Spanish had a different suspension and in scale model would be identical to the German, although in a clear pic you can see the extra suspension rivet.

Just a comment on the Mausers, that apparently were "made" in the DR:

"Dominican Republic: Production of Mauser rifles began in San Crisobal in the 1950's in 7x57mm using used Brazilian M1908 receivers and other parts. Some parts such as stocks were made new, but most others were used Brazilian contract parts, with new German barrels of prewar vintage. Both long rifles and short rifles were made up to about 1962. Stocks may be blonde or very dark walnut type. Pattern was of the M1908 and finish was excellent. I saw many brand new reworks and they looked better than most commercial guns of the period. Earliest reported date was 1952. They were marked Armeria F. A. REP. DOM. The stocks had a very high lustre finish. "

Reply to
old hoodoo

Bear with me here and I hope I am not off base. Are you referring to M3 half tracks, if so see

On this page is an m3 halftrack with twin water cooled 50 cal machine guns and 37mm cannon.

Could the m3a's you are referring to be M15's without the 37MM cannon and AA sights taken off?

a great picture of the mount without the mgs mounted and without the gun shield removed can be seen at page 190, plate 495 American And British Tanks of WWII.

Just a shot in the dark.

Reply to
old hoodoo

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to get more pictures of the halftrack locally. Trujillo and Franco were fairly close, the oly official visit Trujillo ever made was to Spain were he was received as a head of state.

La Armeria in fact is "still working" although for the last 30-40 years it has been doinf metal work and not weapons.

A lot of stuff was made there, the Mausers as you say plus the "Cristobal" carabine, automatic and semi automatic, with the same munition as the M1 carabine, and some other stuff.

I'll check the pages you sent me

Jose

Reply to
Dr. Jose M. Paliza

Have you checked any newspaper archives? Sometimes they will have front page pics of local military stuff in parades. Maybe something on microfilm or microfishe?

Reply to
old hoodoo

At the following website:

Not sure if you have seen this:

There is the below reference to Dominican Halftracks and several people involved in the Dominican Armor page that might be able to help. a couple of Drs. perhaps you have already connected with them (your pic might go well on their page).

"Lt.Cnl. Carlos R. Doglioli (Retd.) of the Argentine Army reports that US Half Tracks, some of them mounting double and quad .50 machineguns. He further states that he has a brief scene in a historical video of a parade in Santo Domingo with a double column of these vehicles (mounting the AD .50´s) taking part in the celebration at very slow speed."

Reply to
old hoodoo