Help with a Rapidor Power Hacksaw

Greetings all
Have just acquired a Rapidor saw. The old motor really sounds dreadfull and
is on its last legs. Its single phase and plated as 0.5 horsepower and is
clearly not original. Does this sound powerfull enough
Many thanks
Bill
Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com
what are you cutting? check the brushes first. and the bearings. might just need a tune up.
Reply to
someone
Thanks The machine will be used to cut mild steel up to say 3" diameter I think the problem lies with the bearings, but as I have nothing to loose I will strip the motor down and check.
Bill
snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>>Greetings all >> >[quoted text clipped - 5 lines] >> >>Bill > >what are you cutting? >check the brushes first. and the bearings. might just need a tune up.
Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com
those are easy to repack or replace.
Reply to
someone
motor stripped and bearings repacked. The rear of the armature is a sloppy fit in the bearing and may be turning in rather than with the bearing. The front is little better and the bearing O.D. is a sloppy fit in the front housing.
Things will have to wait till I sort out the rest of the machine. The current problem is to get the drive shaft dismantled as I need to make a new crank arm. The existing one has been welded up and is out of true causing excessive wear to the shaft and the two crank pins
snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>>Thanks
Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com
can you shim and center line the drive? also check and see if the armature is out of round. i've had egg shaped ones that made the shaft wobble. great for special effects.
Reply to
someone
Thanks
Ive taken the bearings out and they are rough. According to my lists they are inexpensive so I will replace them and see if that solves the problem. I will use a drop of bearing retainer to keep them in place.
snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>>motor stripped and bearings repacked. The rear of the armature is a sloppy
Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com
coolness
Reply to
someone
Many thanks
bearings replaced with lots of bearing retainer to take up the slack. Motor runs well and sounds good. Job done.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>>Thanks
Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com
excellent. if maintained, motors can lost a long time. the brushless ones should be good for years of non stop labor. good job.
Reply to
someone
Have just replaced the motor on my rapidor for a single phase. Need to dispose of the geared, 3 phase original motor in good working order, any suggestions?.
Reply to
Trevor