Help with a Rapidor Power Hacksaw

Greetings all

Have just acquired a Rapidor saw. The old motor really sounds dreadfull and is on its last legs. Its single phase and plated as 0.5 horsepower and is clearly not original. Does this sound powerfull enough

Many thanks

Bill

Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com

what are you cutting? check the brushes first. and the bearings. might just need a tune up.

Reply to
someone

Thanks The machine will be used to cut mild steel up to say 3" diameter I think the problem lies with the bearings, but as I have nothing to loose I will strip the motor down and check.

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>>Greetings all

Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com

those are easy to repack or replace.

Reply to
someone

motor stripped and bearings repacked. The rear of the armature is a sloppy fit in the bearing and may be turning in rather than with the bearing. The front is little better and the bearing O.D. is a sloppy fit in the front housing.

Th>>Thanks

Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com

can you shim and center line the drive? also check and see if the armature is out of round. i've had egg shaped ones that made the shaft wobble. great for special effects.

Reply to
someone

Thanks

Ive taken the bear>>motor stripped and bearings repacked. The rear of the armature is a sloppy

Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com

coolness

Reply to
someone

Many thanks

bearings replaced with lots of bearing retainer to take up the slack. Motor runs well and sounds good. Job done.

Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@some.doma>>Thanks

Reply to
BillB via ModelGeeks.com

excellent. if maintained, motors can lost a long time. the brushless ones should be good for years of non stop labor. good job.

Reply to
someone

replying to BillB via ModelGeeks.com, Trevor wrote: Have just replaced the motor on my rapidor for a single phase. Need to dispose of the geared, 3 phase original motor in good working order, any suggestions?.

Reply to
Trevor