Help with SBD Dauntless rivet pattern?

Trying to lay out my rivet pattern on the cowl of my 1/5 scale SBD-5 Dauntless (RC), but I can't seem to determine the rivet pattern for the top of the cowl. I've got images that show the rivets for the sides and bottom, but I can't see what's going on with the top side of the cowl.

None of my books, photos I've taken or even all the photos on the web have been able to indicate where the rivets and/or screws went on the top side of the cowl... especially in regards to the depressions for the guns. It's difficult to get top photos of the cowl from the ground, hence the lack of images.

Any photos of the top side of the engine cowl, whether full scale or plastic scale, would be greatly appreciated. I've got good rivet references for everything behind the cowl, but not for the cowl itself.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Pierce

Y'know, if there are no pics of the area, nobody else is going to know what it looks like, either. Fake it, using your best judgement.

Steve H

Phillip Treweek wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

Check out the Accurate Miniatures kit. Probably the most accurate reference out there...

Keith Walker

Reply to
Scorpian

Except that it has no rivets.

For Tom,

Have you checked with NMNA?

They might be willing to help.

Scott G. Welch

Reply to
OSWELCH

This is a definite point. If you look at a real SBD you find yourself thinking of the old bromide about "10,000 rivets flying in formation". I got a close look at an SBD and an F4F Wildcat at the Frederick, Maryland air show some years ago, and they are very "rivety". And I don't mean flush riveted either. They may not be noticeable in 1/48 scale, but that old Revell (Matchbox) 1/32 scale bird definitely looks strange being so smooth.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey