Best Tamiya F4 Phantom for 1965 AF in Nam ?

My brother was in the Air Force and worked on these planes in Thailand in

1965. I would like to surprise him with a built model and plan to use one of the 1/32 Tamiya kits. Unfortunately I don't know anything about these planes and can't really use his experiences to guide me. As I understand it, there are three Tamiya kits available. Which one should I use as the base model, and where can go to learn more about the appearance of this plane? I suspect decals will be the trickiest part.

I'm a middle-level experienced modeler, and I want to build this one well, but I'm not planning to go over the top on it. I'll do PE and the like, but I don't plan to spend hundreds of hours on this model. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

Hello, You should build the C/D model. The Navy used the J model and during that time frame the E model was not yet used. This kit is not an "easy" build though. A freind of mine had one about half built and had lost interest in it, if you like, I could put you in contact with him. He is a IPMS Nats winner, and his work is excellent Ray Lloyd IPMS#36878 FREMONT HORNETS "If the enemy is in range, so are you"

Reply to
QUIKBRD

F-4C/D is what you want. The E came later. The J is a Navy aircraft.

Reply to
Gary Kato