how to fix glue smear on windshield?

If I got a partially built car kit that has some glue smeared on the windshield, do you think I could fix it by using a dremel tool along with something like a buffing wheel and emery compound so that it would be nice and clear again?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Artist

I'd be careful about using the Dremel and buffing wheel. It can quickly get away from you and burn into the plastic, creating an even bigger mess.

It all depends on how much glue is in the clear part and how deeply it has etched the plastic. If it's etched really deep, it may be beyond fixing. However, try this: Wet sanding the area with very fine sandpaper (like 1200 grit). Then go over it again with a super-fine grit, like 2400. Once that is done, buff it by hand with a soft cloth (like an old "T" shirt) and plastic polish. Finish up with a coat of Future.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Do not use a Dremel. Even at the lower speeds, the buffing attachment will destroy the windshield, because it generates too much heat. I don't know about specific grits, but using the Squadron or Flexifile sanding sticks, which come in four or five grits, plus a three-surface polisher, I can get real close to a smooth refinish, and Future usually fixes what haze is left. I would guess even 2400 is still a little too coarse as the last step before polishing, but there are finer grits available (Micromark?)

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Mark Schynert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.west.earthlink.net:

Someone (name escapes me at the moment) makes fine polishing/sanding cloths in progressive grits from like 1800 to 12000. I'm a putz and I can get anything smooth and clear with that, just patience and perseverance.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

many monument and marker co'c sell grits up to 10k.

There is a high probability that the glue has eaten away some of the plastic. If this is the case, it will be a lot more difficult to fix.

MicroMesh rubber-backed abrasives (they go up to 12,000 grit) will do the job. You can get a kit at MicroMark tools.

Type in "mesh" into their search box. This is a neat source for all kinds of good stuff!

Dipping the polished part in Future floor "wax" will fill in the very tiny scratches left over from polishing.

Reply to
Scott Truesdell

I recently ruined a wind screen with superglue and superglue remover which ended up in a fine mess but when hard I sanded first with 1000 grade paper then followed up with a well worn 1200 grade, once everything was smooth and flat again I used some canopy polish to bring it back to a better condition than the original. You can dip it in future and let it dry which also does a good job, good luck , you need it I think.

Reply to
TED TAYLOR