I have seen the light!!

Found some Mr Surfacer today at the store. Figured I'd try it since the acolytes always seem so pleased with it. Got 1 bottle of 500 and 1 bottle of

1000.

Only used the 500 so far but HOLY COW! Where has this been all my life.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

why what is it?

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Just to make life a bit more interesting, they also now make a 1200. Smooth as the proverbial baby's butt.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in news:zrS3e.22754$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

It's a primer/filler. It works in the way I always wanted a filler to work. It's thin enough to go on easily, fills even small cracks and the excess sands right off when you're done. I talked to one fella at the shop that said you can even wipe away excess before it dries completely.

One item I tested it on had a bad sinkmark in a very visible spot. Two coatings and a vigorous sanding and it's like it was never there. Much easier than more conventional putties.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

How do you apply it? Do you paint it on?

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

I'm interested as well. I was at Hannants last Thursday and I noticed the

500 grade and the 1000 grade bottles. Maybe I should nip back there and pick some up!
Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Gordon McLaughlin" wrote in news:42504d6b@212.67.96.135:

Yes. The fellas in the shop said to regard as paint and just build up layers. I brushed it on my sink marks and it seemed to work great. I have to go back and hit two of them again, but everything seems so smooth.

The big thing will be wing/fuselage joints which I never seem to get right with regular putty. I'll just paint it on wait a few mintues and then wipe it off with a q-tip or paper towel with a bit of paint thinner on it.

Supposedly you can use it to fill minor surface scratches and spray it on through your airbrush (thinned). It is also available in spray cans.

I've got a Nichimo Type IXC on the bench. I think after I get the upper and lower hulls glued and setup I'm going to spray 1000 along the seam. The dry fit seems pretty tight anyway and I just want to top the join line so it's not so obvious. I'm going to use the line for the waterline anyway so we'll see.

All I can say is this stuff works just like I always thought a filler should act. I've never been able to thin conventional putties to fill thin seams/cracks or sink marks as nicely as this without making a mess. Nor have I been able to apply conventional thinned putties as easily. I always wondered why guys who mention this stuff in posts usually seem to be really big fans who wouldn't use anything else.

HLJ also lists a "Mr. Dissolved Putty" which is the Gunze white putty prethinned.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Try methanol to wipe.

Reply to
Ron

Yup. Better mount a .6mm nozzle for the 500, though...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

in article Xns962D2FB5425E0Wereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.136, Gray Ghost at grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 4/3/05 3:46 AM:

I agree, it's great stuff. I've used both for years and swear by the 1000 grade as a primer for NM finishes. I thin it with Mr. Color thinner and spray on a couple of coats. It fills all the micro scratches and then can be polished to a really slick finish which is a perfect bed for Alclad II.

Either grade can be "sanded" with a cotton ball soaked in denatured Alky. This way, no surface detail is destroyed or damaged but the filler stays in the seam or defect. The action of the thinner isn't immediate but it does work. And when it's dry it can be scribed over with care.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Milton Bell wrote in news:BE7616EB.4732% snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com:

There should be a chapter in the RMS FAQ dedicated to this stuff!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The thing that continues to amaze me is the few Gunze lacquer based products that show up in the US and get "discovered" don't lead more to start finding sources for the rest of the company's products.

I use almost all the lacquers, imported directly from Japan. They are cheaper, and far better than any of the products we here in the US are offered from our local hobby shop shelves. In my opinion, since Testors/RPM killed all the competition their products have become overly expensive and of inferior quality. And yes, I do know that the EPA ban on almost anything stronger than water may play a part in this decline in quality.

When I can by far better paint at about $1.50 a bottle delivered right to my doorstep in about 5 days from order, why would I spend twice that?

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

"Norm Filer" wrote in news:ja44e.2878$3O2.2121@trnddc01:

I think most hobby shops either don't know about this stuff or just like to play it safe with a well known "American" brand like Testor's.

My problem is at last count I had:

Acrylics Tamiya Polly S/Polly Scale Aeromaster Badger Marine Model Master

Enamels Model Master Aeromaster Humbrol Pactra old and new

Lacquer Floquil

I kinda had a buying binge during the time while I didn't have the room to really get going. Now that I'm set up the error of my ways is clear, but I'm going to try each and see what I really like best. Frankly I'd like to try the Gunze (both acrylic and lacquer) but logisticly it's getting absurd. Mebbe when I work my way through the bottle and I need to restock.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Gray Ghost" wrote

When you get to using them remember that PollyS is latex and Polly Scale is acrylic. PollyS + PollyScale = glop.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

where do you buy gunze for $1.50 delivered?

"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:_zl4e.14669$db.12742@trndny07:

Oops. Thanks. All I know is when I opened a Polly Scale jar recently the smell was a pleasnt smell of wet mud I remembered from years ago.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

cool, thanks.