iraqi S Entendard

Picked up today 3 48th Afix S Entendards, instructions say the Iraqis had them, didnt know that, is there any decals, sure would be interesting, will do a Argie one too.

Whos built the kit, can you tell me the overall impressions, recessed panel lines but cant get a good look, top n bottom halves remind me of another kit i cant remember, looking forward to building it, after the other

9999999999999999 on my list to do(ok about 120 out of 500)

ta

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Poor unfortunate #121. It'll be a cold day before it gets attention...;)

Seriously, I didn't know Airfix had any Etendards in 1/48. Must be Heller originals. Heller did the IVM and Super in 1/72 and I once had the 1/50 Etendard prototype they did.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

The Iraqis flew five SuEs on loan from the French until Exocet-capable Mirage F-1s became available in 1985. They formed No.90 Squadron of the IrAF, and flew exclusively anti-shipping missions over the Gulf. However, two were splashed by Iranian fighters (one by F-14, one by F-4), a third damaged, and two intact aircraft returned to France. Check the Iran-Iraq War in the Air by Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop, or Iranian F-4 Phantom Units in Combat (also by Cooper) for more info. In the latter book, he has a first-person account from the F-4 driver who splashed a SuE. (And almost had a run-in with RSAF F-15s afterwards)

Posted via

- web to news gateway for usenet access!

Reply to
Matt Wiser