Is All Epoxy the same?

I bought this stuff, looking only to buy in bulk. Did not see the "for r/c planes" text.

anyone know if this will work for resin figures? this is what I bought it for.

I emailed Great Planes and am waiting for an answer.

I did not know that there could be different types of epoxy.....

thx - Craig

Musicman59

sure, many different kinds from different chemicals. lots of different uses and methods. it's kind of complicated, so i let 3rd party companys make money from me.

Reply to
someone

so given its description, think it will work on resin figures, 120mm to 1/6 scale?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

imnsho, yes. you might want to be sure of the instruction, dry run the steps a few times and then start small. i didn't look at prices, but shop around. also see if it's chemical composition is around in bulkier packages for better money. the universal comment i heard was it's expensive.... let us know how you make out, ok?

Reply to
someone

While I'm not chemist or adhesive expert (even though I play one in my hobby workshop) I can tell you that there are many different types of epoxies.

Epoxy adhesives can vary by setup times, strength, hardness, viscosity (when still liquid) and many other factors. For example using improper epoxy caused a large concrete celling tile to come down in one of Boston's highway tunnels. It fell on a car and killed the driver. Yes, those tiles are fastened to the tunnel celling using epoxy!

But in general, in non-critical application like gluing resin figures, any hobby epoxy should work fine. In those cases the deciding factors will be setup time and price.

You should be fine (unless you bought one that sets in 12 hours!) :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

yeah, in the ted willams. the globe said no one in the city was surprised considering all the graft and over runs on the big dig. i feel bad for the poor lady. just minding here business when the world collapsed on her. damn.

Reply to
someone

I find that thick CA works best for working with resin. Seems to be the only thing I can get to actually stick - epoxies always seem to peel on me if I use them on anything but wood..though we did have a mighty fine one for joining metal to metal back when I was working at Fermi...I'd hate to get any of that on me.

Thin CAs are probably equally as good, and would allow you to fit the parts and capillary bleed the glue into the join.

Reply to
Rufus

The only significant difference from other hobby shop epoxies is that it's resistant to R/C model fuels, which is important when you don't want your model coming apart in midflight. It should work just as well for non-R/C models.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Technically, the tiles were connected to bolts. And the bolts were epoxied into the ceiling with the wrong epoxy. Also, the woman who died was the passenger. Her husband was driving.

But, I'm splitting hairs.

Reply to
John McGrail

and no one was surprised it happened. bostonians are a bit cynical....

Reply to
someone

I bet she was telling him how to drive.....

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Geez, you *ARE* all splitting hairs! I was just loosely referring to that incident to show that in some applications it makes a life and death difference what type of epoxy is used. However with vinyl figures it is not *THAT* critical!!!! :-)

I also agree that CA glue would work quite well for bonding vinyl.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.