Ju-87 Splinter Camouflage Masks

I'm about to enter the paint phase for the Hasegawa 1/32 Stuka. The instruction sheet contains properly dimensioned masks for the splinter camo. Since this is the first time I've seen this in a kit I was looking for suggestions/ideas. Off the top of my head I came up with 2 ideas

1) cut them out and paste them on using Maskol on the back to hold them to the model. Downsides are I may get a soft line (this would be _wrong_ .. am I correct?) and the paper will be a little stiff to work with.

2) cut them out, lay them over some over-lapped strips of Tamiya wide masking tape on glass and etch them into the tape. Then pull the tape and tack it to the model.

I'm leaning towards #2....has anybody else done this with good results?

Thanks!

Jeff H

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

Get some artists frisket and cut your masks from that .It's low tack so it wont pull your paint off when you remove the mask ,it is also transparent so you can see where you are going with it.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I'd go with Option #2, myself. you want those hard-edged demarcations.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

You might want to make a few copies first whateever you choose so you have something to fall back on if you mess it up. I agree with the consensus to try #2.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

If your local hobby shop doesn't stock it, go to an artists supply store and get soma frisket paper. With the excellent masks in the kit, the frisket paper solution is almost too easy.

Also, do make a couple of copies be fore you start cutting in case you make a mistake.

Jim

Reply to
Jim McCarty