Lexingtom Colors

I am starting the Lex (the old Lex, Trumpetter's 350 scale version). While it is a very nice kit, the color info is a bit sparse. They cover hull, deck etc., but that is about all. I am searching for detail colors. All of the pics I can find of the Lex are either B&W, or aerial shots from so far away you cannot make out details (and these color shots are very prewar, not the config that the kit makes up.

I would assume some of the detail colors I need would be the same for any carrier in the navy early in the war. What about ships boats? What about the walls of the hanger deck. I will be depicting it with elevators down, so you can see at least the part of the hanger deck that makes up the 'vator walls. How about the guns? I assume the five inchers would be same color as hull, but what about the smaller ones- the 20mm and .50 cal ones? How about the safety nets-would these have been the same color as the deck? It looks like there is a narrow strip on the forward edge of the flight deck that is lighter in color than the rest of the deck. Would that have been hull color?

I also have some operations questions some of you old carrier hands may be able to answer. I am using the Tom's Modelworks PE set, and it includes a "wind break" that you can put on in the raised position. Would that be down during flight operations? When would it be up I am assuming the safety nets along the side of the deck would be raised during non-flight ops, horizontal during flight. Is this right?

Back to colors, the color diagram gives the Gunze color numbers. Anyone know of a conversion to Testors Model Master?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Ron Smith

Safety nets are fixed. They run along the flight deck and angle up slightly from below the deck (you fall into it, roll towards the ship).

John Alger USN(ret)

1972-1997 // 1310,1320 TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Reply to
John

Many thanks, Ron

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Hmmm. The Modelworks PE set shows mounting either vertical or horizontal. Could it be the old carriers (Lex and Sara) had a different arrangement than the later ones?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

AFAIK, those safety nets are (or should be) down all the time. Since there are no railings on the deck, the nets are the only thing to help keep sailors on the deck, especially when operating at high speed in storm conditions. Here is a pic of the Lex at anchor with aircraft all along the sides. The railing cannot be seen, but the tails of the planes appear to be hanging over the edge.

2 pics of the Saratoga underway. No railings showing in up position.
nets in horizontal position, no ops going on.

Willshak

Possible, I suppose, though I have never seen a pix with them "up". However, I was not around then to see any. A bit before my time. John Alger USN(ret)

1972-1997 // 1310,1320 TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Reply to
John

There are photos of her cruising with some of the nets up and she transits the Panama Canal locks with all nets up. Just checked my collection of Lex photos.

Reply to
Ron Smith

This photo seems to show them "up" along the aft portion of the flight deck.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

They are in that photo.

Reply to
Ron Smith

It also appears that they didn't paint the flight deck lip on the stern with a higher visibility color (yellow) as they do in later carriers.

And down underway, no flight ops: Note the tall netting upright on right.

It seems that whatever position they are in is correct.

Reply to
Willshak

Ron:

Trumpeter's "Saratoga" in pre war guise is now on the hobby shop's shelf so you will probably get requests for that one too. I wonder if the pre war painting has a natural wood deck which would make that replacement deck set worth while??

Bill Shuey who has too many unbuilt ship kits as it is.

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I think that was a natural wood deck, but the decks in the two kits are not the same, so a deck made for the Lexington kit may not fit the Saratoga kit, unless it's a 36 vintage deck. The Sara kit has the original flight deck with the narrow forward section.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Depends on the date, after a specific date the carriers did not have yellow ramps at the ends of their flight decks.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Prewar Sara will have a mahogany stained deck. Best method for the Nautilus wood replacements is use alcohol based wood dye (dark cherry), flood the back and immediately flip over and flood the top, let dry on blocks. Shoot two coats of blonde shellac using a very light buff of scotchbrite between coats and blow the dust off before recoating. Then drybrush oils, enamels or artists' tube acrylics in a lighter shade than the dye. Done right it eliminates the need for a wash to darken the recessed details. Then shoot a light coat of flat, mask and paint the deck markings (don't use the model paints lebelled "chrome yellow" as they're too bright, deep yellow is better).

I normally lam> Ron:

Reply to
Ron Smith