Re: Yorktown (CV-5) colors

My brother's building a model of the aircraft carrier Yorktown CV-5. We're

> researching to see if the carrier, in early 1942, had a wood grain or blue > deck. Also, was the bottom of the hull below the waterline a dark red or > black. > Thanks, Mike
Reply to
Daryl

Daryl,

Good observation, however color photos of this period are deceptive if not originally black and white. Yorktown would have had a flight deck stained to a dark blue, close to 20-B. But the early war stains did not hold up well to the bleaching effects of the sun and the wear of traffic on the deck. It might be possible that the deck looked more like wood, than a dark blue at the time of her loss. I have a number of books with photographs on the deck of the Yorktown just prior to her loss. These photographs, although black and white, might provide an idea of the deck's color (dark verses light). A little literary license is not a bad thing when building a model though.

Bill

Daryl wrote:

Reply to
William B. Smallshaw

By October 1941 she had stained her deck 250-N which is blue. Some low angle shots or photos from later during cruises will show some "wood" due to wear and tear.

Reply to
Ron

Until you see the slides at NARA or the originals at NHIC in DC, don't bet on color phots, especially in books. Her deck was 250-N for sure, there might have been heavy wear at the time of her loss but from what I remember it looks more grey-tan than brown in those areas.

Reply to
Ron