Memories of Matchbox

I wish that the remaining manufacturers would do some of the subject aircraft that Matchbox did.

Think Siskin, HS.125, BK-117, P-12, Privateer, Mystere IV, Twin Otter, Do 18, Do 28, F3D, Seafox, Heyford, Victor, Hawker Fury, Tempest II, He 70, Norseman, T-2 Buckeye, Provost and Wellseley.

Matchbox did all of these and no one has done them as a 1/72 scale injection molded kit since then.

The Eastern European kit manufacturers such as MPM are the best bet.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Sorry. I left out the Straenraer, possibly the best of all the Matchbox kits.

The thread about Matchbox armor kits reminded me to add them into the diorama listings for ESM 72.

Thanks guys.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Mmmm, love that Lysander! Did one years ago with the grand plan for a full-on Resistance midnight pick-up with German troops about to overrun the field.. etc etc. Never got round to it all. Still have the box and instructions but the model crashed last year :-(

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

I've got two Matchbox 1/72 Mk1 Gladiators that I am saving for something what I dunno, but right now I just like to pick them up and shake the boxes (very gently mind you) :-) I agree thought that they

*were* a notch or two above Airfix. Mike IPMS
Reply to
Mike Keown

Hey Tom, I've seen the Mystere IV in a Revell AG box. I would have picked it up but I already have the 3 I wanted.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I never got one of Matchbox's Ju 188s. I picked up a Revell/Italeri kit for that type. I read somewhere it was the better of the two AND it was on the shelf of the local store whilst the Mbox was not. I probably should have gotten one anyway. The Italeri had mark options and I probably could have used the extra pieces to change or improve the Matchbox.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Very high maintenance!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

it's a basic maychbox but it looks good. no clunky rivets or blobbt pieces.

Matchbox's is okay, but I think the Heller is a bit better. That said, I might build both, as I have at least two Gladiator schemes I want to build.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

They ~were~ very nice. I had several, all used as jumping off points for Airmodel vacuum conversions.

The Old Timer

Bill, when I first read your post, I thought you said that you already had the *31* Super Mysteres you wanted. "What the .." I thought "Talk about obsession!". Then I re-read it, and it made more sense. Just thought I'd let you know :-)

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

So you're saying I'm better off without one?

RobG

Bill Banaszak wrote

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

safer, not better.

I loved building their Siptfire 22/24, Dauntless and their Tiger Moth and am looking forward to doeing their Lysander and Bf/Me 109E, all except the Spitfire I have in two or more sets.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I loved that spitfire,and still have it minus some small pieces that went awol over the years.But that damn tiger moth! It was my first attempt at building with liquid glue,all those years ago.Couldn't get that top wing on for anything.Finally tested it's flight and crashing characteristics as a monoplane,if you know what I mean... So I went and got the airfix 1/72 kit instead,and still have it.And working on another now :)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Maybe this should be a new thread, but: Does Heller rerelease their old kits like some of the other manufacturers, or is the only choice to pay a King's ransom on Ebay? They haven't rereleased their Gladiator for what seems like ages (early to mid 80s as an Encore kit?)

Reply to
Pauli G

Indeed, but how do we know which ones they are?

Reply to
JJ (UK)

(C) date

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

But weren't Revell kits contemporaneous?

Reply to
JJ (UK)

Usually they still have "Matchbox" moulded inside.

Reply to
Les Pickstock