Memory Lapse - Wasn't there a line of model kits that included electric motors that had to be built?

Here's one for the way back machine. I remember putting together model kit s back in the early to mid 60's that included electric motors. These motor s had to be put together as well. I remember having to wrap thin copper wi re around the rotor that was formed by parts that were cut from part trees. I had an F-8 that had the motor in it to make a jet sound (not to be confu sed with the Monogram B-52 that had the same feature). What I can't rememb er is who made the kits. Can anybody help refresh my memory?

Reply to
ned.w.hughes

Sounds like Lindbergh.

Reply to
Jessica

Yes - Lindbergh. I attempted the Stuka as a kid...never did get it to run!

Reply to
Rufus

its back in the early to mid 60's that included electric motors. These mot ors had to be put together as well. I remember having to wrap thin copper wire around the rotor that was formed by parts that were cut from part tree s. I had an F-8 that had the motor in it to make a jet sound (not to be con fused with the Monogram B-52 that had the same feature). What I can't reme mber is who made the kits. Can anybody help refresh my memory?

I still have that F-8 Crusader in my stash. I've got a handful of other kit s from Lindberg that required assembling the electric motor.

Reply to
RobG

Roger that, they were Lindberg kits from the early 1960s. Motors were made out of plastic with a set of metal parts that fit on a shaft and a LOT of t hin copper wire for the windings. Took a while to build and I for one only got one out of four to actually run, but not very well. Also had to have a cut-out in the bottom of the engine cowlings of propeller models to run.

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks for all the replies. I thought they were possibly old Aurora kits, but now I remember them being made by Lindberg. You have to wonder if (based on the responses here) anybody put the motors together successfully.

Reply to
ned.w.hughes

Yes, I had a 50% success rate (one out of two worked). It was Fun!! and Educational!!

And Frustrating!! enough that I never did any others after that.

Reply to
Jessica

You did better than me. I probably built 6-8 of those motors and not one ever ran.

Reply to
Dean

Well, I had Electrical Engineer Barbie to help. (Plus a lot of good books and advice from my dad, who did electrical stuff for the RCAF...)

Reply to
Jessica

Lucky you! I had more success with a series of chemistry sets. Inspired me to become a chemist!

Reply to
Dean

I could get the assembled motor to run outside of the model, but once I tried to install it, it normally did not have enough strength to turn the gears and whatnot to actually power the action.

Reply to
RobG