Memory Lapse - Wasn't there a line of model kits that included electric motors that had to be built?

Here's one for the way back machine. I remember putting together model kit s back in the early to mid 60's that included electric motors. These motor
s had to be put together as well. I remember having to wrap thin copper wi re around the rotor that was formed by parts that were cut from part trees. I had an F-8 that had the motor in it to make a jet sound (not to be confu sed with the Monogram B-52 that had the same feature). What I can't rememb er is who made the kits. Can anybody help refresh my memory?
On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:31:38 -0700, ned.w.hughes wrote:

Sounds like Lindbergh.
Jessica wrote:

Yes - Lindbergh. I attempted the Stuka as a kid...never did get it to run!
--
- Rufus

On Friday, May 31, 2013 3:31:38 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

its back in the early to mid 60's that included electric motors. These mot ors had to be put together as well. I remember having to wrap thin copper wire around the rotor that was formed by parts that were cut from part tree s. I had an F-8 that had the motor in it to make a jet sound (not to be con fused with the Monogram B-52 that had the same feature). What I can't reme mber is who made the kits. Can anybody help refresh my memory?
I still have that F-8 Crusader in my stash. I've got a handful of other kit s from Lindberg that required assembling the electric motor.
Roger that, they were Lindberg kits from the early 1960s. Motors were made out of plastic with a set of metal parts that fit on a shaft and a LOT of t hin copper wire for the windings. Took a while to build and I for one only got one out of four to actually run, but not very well. Also had to have a cut-out in the bottom of the engine cowlings of propeller models to run.
Thanks for all the replies. I thought they were possibly old Aurora kits, but now I remember them being made by Lindberg. You have to wonder if (based on the responses here) anybody put the motors together successfully.
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 09:48:25 -0700, ned.w.hughes wrote:

Yes, I had a 50% success rate (one out of two worked). It was Fun!! and Educational!!
And Frustrating!! enough that I never did any others after that.
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:02:29 PM UTC-4, Jessica wrote:

You did better than me. I probably built 6-8 of those motors and not one ever ran.
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:49:05 -0700, Dean wrote:

Well, I had Electrical Engineer Barbie to help. (Plus a lot of good books and advice from my dad, who did electrical stuff for the RCAF...)
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:04:11 PM UTC-4, Jessica wrote:

Lucky you! I had more success with a series of chemistry sets. Inspired me to become a chemist!
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:02:29 PM UTC-4, Jessica wrote:

I could get the assembled motor to run outside of the model, but once I tried to install it, it normally did not have enough strength to turn the gears and whatnot to actually power the action.