Mid-air satellite recovery : C-119G -> C-119J conversion?

I've always wanted to do a model of a satellite-snagging C-119, and finally picked up the Italeri 1/72 C-119G.

The most obvious change I see needing to be made is the cargo door. Are there any other external differences between the G and J types? What about changes specific to the planes that made the midair recoveries of the Discoverer satellites?

Obviously, I'm just starting down this path. I've got about three dozen walkaround pics I took of the C-119J at Wright-Patterson. Can anyone recommend any other good references for this variant?

And finally (even though this takes all the fun out of it), does anyone make a resin cargo door replacement?

Thanks

Reply to
Nathan Pryor

There was a Disney flick in the early 1960s (Senior moment -- can't remember its name) that starred Tom Tryon as an astronaut. The film started out with stock footage of one of these snags. If you can find it (or go to a Disney film-related site), you might be able to get some stills.

The Old Timer

BINGO! Give the man an Entex model! That's the one. Thanks.

The Old Timer