Need advice to create a new Canopy?

Building a Minicraft 1/144 Avenger but I really don't like the kit's canopy because I know the thick clear plastic will look terrible on that scale. I read about heat-forming thin clear sheet to make a new one. If anyone has or knows of pics of an aircraft in that scale with a formed canopy, I'd like to see them so I can convince myself to try this technique. Please post pics on ABMS or give web links. Thanks.

TF

Reply to
T. Forward

If you have access to a Mattell Vac-u-Form, create a new canopy using .005 plastic sheet (the type generally used for gels). You may have to segment the original canopy to duplicate the gunner's cage.

Reply to
verne foss

A Mattel Vac u form would be ideal. I think however that since your canopy is so small you can get away with squash molding one. Take the canopy and back it up with clay or silly putty to add rigidity. Form a stand with the clay that will hold the piece an inch or so off the work surface. The canopy will look like it is on a pedestal. Make sure this setup is sturdy. Now stick it in the freezer to temporarily set the clay so it is rock hard. Now get a piece of clear plastic such as squadron thermaform. Make a frame out of a piece of plywood, masonite etc. Take the clear plastic and using thumbtacks you will tack it to the frame. Now with a pair of channel locks grab the frame and hold it over the stove or a heat source until the plastic starts to sag. Now quickly take the heated plastic still in the frame and pull it down over the original canopy. this should not take but a moment to set or you can put it in cool water. That should do it. Just get the original out by trimming your new canopy. I hope my instructions are semi clear.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

What Max advocates is correct - and it really is easy !! Honestly.

I would just add that you make a half-dozen or so - a) to practice your technique - and b) in case you mess up when cutting it to fit the model.

I do it all the time - and you don't have to be that precise with the frame for the thermaform that goes over the kit canopy master - a few mm bigger than the canopy around the outside is OK.

I have also used different thicknesses of clear plastic - tops of magarine tubs, inserts from shirt collars, odd bits of clear packaging etc - collect it as you go.

Different bits of clear plastic require differing levels of heat - some just require a few seconds, others need longer - just until it starts to sag in the frame - then plunge it over your master.

All it takes is practice...

Have fun!

Ken

PS - Your problems start when try> A Mattel Vac u form would be ideal. I think however that since your canopy

Reply to
Ken Duffey

OK. I squash-molded a new gun turret for the Avenger and posted a pic on ABMS. I'm very pleased with the thickness (thin-ness?) and clarity of the new piece. Thanks for recommending it! The original didn't have much of a molded frame and the new piece has even less. Any suggestions how to paint the frame in such a small scale with no raised detail?

TF

Reply to
T. Forward

Painted decal strips. The turret looks really good, BTW.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

you guys keep saying painted decal strips...who sells the sheets? looked over squadron but no luck and none on my online sites. for canopies, looks like an 8x10 sheet could go a long way. is there a trick to heat and smash canopies? i can't get mine to work. i've wasted 2 sheets trying to make one he 111 canopy.

Instead of painted decal sheet, try painting Scotch Magic tape (Green pack) and then using it to form your frames. I've got kits that are 30 years old and the tape hasn't moved one iota. HTH, Brian

Reply to
Brian McCarron

that is waht i am doing now, exact tape and all. so no advantage over decal sheet? cool.

Any clear decal sheet will work. Paint the interior color first, then the exterior. Cut it into strips as needed.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

right, BUT WHO SELLS THEM? argh!

Clear decal film is available from Microscale, Bare Metal, Testors and lord only knows who else - it's not exactly a rare commodity. Try your local hobby shop, Hobby Lobby, Great Models, or MicroMark for starters.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

mail order, al? oh yeah gm. surprised squadron doen't have any. no good stores near here.

You must have a Wal-Mart. Check there for the Testors paper.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

You can always shoot a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal FIlm on the blank section of a decal sheet, shoot the color or colors of the frames and then cut the strips. Worked for me a couple times.

Reply to
Ron

they have the kit. our walmart should be called wallyiosk.

i'll try that on my smer walrus.

OK, a pic of the next part of my new squashed 1/144 Avenger canopy is on ABMS. This second part was much easier than the first. The first time took about 7 attempts; I kept the second squash for this one. I think this is a technique I'll be using alot. Thanks everyone for recommending it!

If anyone else is thinking of it, just do it. You'll like it!

TF

Reply to
T. Forward

I you have lots of time, you can try female vacforming. My Mosquito page shows most the steps of the process:

Honestly, it's a silly amount of work for just a single canopy, but I wanted to try it one time. The results were very good.

Rob de Bie

My models:

Me 163B site:

Rob de Bie

Interesting technique with very impressive results, but like you said, it's a lot of work. I'd still like to try it sometime.

I also thought of making a vacuum-former, but instead of creating a vacuum

*under* the part, push compressed air into a chamber *above* the clear film so it is pushed down over the part. Anyone ever try anything like that?

TF

Reply to
T. Forward