Not enough hatches to open up ? look at this one

I accidentally found an impressive model while surfing around, it appears to be in 1/24 You might want to see this

I know there are more models around like this, but it still is impressive.

Erik Wauters, Belgium

Reply to
Erik Wauters

Wow! Obviously a classic obsessive-compulsive case!

:-) Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Good god almighty. This is the kind of thing that separates the truly great modelers from people like myself, who are just good enough to get by. Anyone who can do this ought to be working for a museum or similar job.

Reply to
Ksu93dlv

This appears to be a paper model, which has some true advantages when adding "scratch build" features to an existing published model. Much of the scratch building work can be performed in your computer before printing out the component parts, using software such as AutoCAD, Photoshop and Rhino 3D. The art work can thus "fool the eye" to make up for the less three dimensional capabilities of rolled and formed cardstock.

Here is an example of a nice build of Halinski's P-51D Mustang cardstock model in 1/33rd scale, apparently straight from the box (er, soft cover magazine format booklet).

With results like these, there is less temptation to go overboard with added scratch detail. A fun project which I hope someday to be able to do in Photoshop, would be to change the markings of the published model. Photoshop is a major software learning project to really become skilled in all it's features, so my study of this software continues ...... although one would be hard pressed to come up with a more attractive scheme then "Big Beautiful Doll."

Got this model in my "stash" and hope to have the skills someday to build it as nice as in these pictures.

Here are some other good looking paper cardstock models by this same model craftsman:

Halinski Hurricane 1/33rd (check out the subtle weathering that comes printed on the model)
GPM Seahawk 1/33rd (weathering makes this baby look ready for the scrap heap)
Halinski Tornado Desert Storm 1/33rd (like the nose art)
GPM Phantom 1/33rd (somehow phantoms in low-viz gray just don't look right to me)
Halinski F-16 1/33rd (... but a Falcon looks comfortable in low-viz gray; hard to imagine another paint scheme)

All these models are current catalog offerings that can be purchased by mail-order from any paper model vendor. I would suggest as a source in the USA ....

They are quite reasonably priced also. I think the P-51D is less then $10.00. Only problem, often the instructions are in Polish. This a minor roadblock for any real modeler. One advantage of purchasing from Papermodels.Net is that this mail order firm often adds their own English translations of the instructions. Other vendors often skip this thoughtful service.

.../Vess Irvine Estes Park, Colorado

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Utterly amazing!

How do they do landing gear struts and missles/bombs? Are they rolled paper too? Or do they use small cardboard tubes to remain "paper?"

Thanks for the information.

JC Beckman Chandler, AZ

Reply to
Jay Beckman

Paper models tend to come on thicker paper (why some prefer to call it card modeling). A rolled up piece of thick paper can take a surprising amount of weight. And a paper model doesn't really weigh all that much

If you've been pining for some model manufacturer to make a kit of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo spacecraft, you can get the first two from Delta 7 (they are working on Apollo). See

They have some free paper kits you can download and print out. They are kind of flimsy when using regular printer paper though.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Hi Jay, several of our members are into paper/card modeling, so check the links section at

for more links to paper modeling sites.

Woody

Jay Beckman wrote:

Reply to
James Woody

Woody,

Thanks for the link...

Terrific website...ya'll have some very talented modlers!!

Jay Beckman Chandler, AZ

Reply to
Jay Beckman

items. How can I use this item (be it a bottle cap or a mousetrap spring) in my next project? You tend to become a pack rat in short order.

When my wife and I first met, she thought it a bit odd that I build "toy airplanes", but now she is as interested as I, particularly Stearman aircraft (something about two wings and round engines....). Anyway, she really thought my stash box was way out there, with old disposable razors, their blade protectors, vac-formed cookie containers, Q-tip tubes, and a hundred other odd bits and pieces of plastic and metal. Now when she sees me mulling over a piece of something, her first queston is, "What kind of spacecraft is that going to be part of?"

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. --Leonardo Da Vinci It's better to teach a child what you know than what you think.

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy