(oil) plastic substitute

News to me. Sometimes it seems as if the plastic is not as good as it could be but I haven't noticed any degeneration of any built models beyond that caused by my own clumsiness.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Putting them in boxes allows one the luxury of forgetting about them. In thirty years you can go on a treasure hunt if you can still stumble out to the garage. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I stand corrected....*THEIR* money goes to the haters that supply the petroleum.Very important to get these facts straight!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Can you say farm raised whales? Good eatin too, mm-mmm :)

Reply to
a0002604

It could never work. If all of my unbuild kits (and they are a lot) were made of Parmigiano Reggiano, I'd eat the whole stock in a couple of weeks... :)

Anyway some experts believe that the real problem will be when there will be only half of the oil left. Nobody really knows exactly how much it is, so they cannot tell when it will happen. However it seems probable that it will be at some time in the next 20-30 years (if we keep the actual rate). Then it will be too costly to produce energy from oil so they'll have to look for something better and as most of the oil is burned to produce energy, more will be available for other things.

Then someone will invent a StarTrek-like replicator and we'd only have to tell "Computer, give me an 1/72 scale MiG-29"

Bzzzzzzz.....

:)

Reply to
Yuri

Aha! So I wasn't wrong to suggest that we may have to start looking for substitutes already. (The mealworms must be having a field day with the ladder now.)

Seb

Reply to
Seb

Actually, years ago, you could get canned whale meat. Reese's (not the peanut-butter/chocolate people, but the ones that do canned smoked oysters and stuff like that) used to sell little tins of whale meat--don't recall which species, but in that day and age it was either humpback or blue. I was about ten years old. The stuff tasted like and had the texture of corned beef. Not bad at all--but since I can buy corned beef pretty easily, I can't say I'm missing the whale meat.

You know, whale milk is supposed to be really rich stuff. Maybe if we started farm-raising whales in large holding ponds in Nebraska, we could get some whale dairies going and sell the milk in Berkeley for $9.98 a quart--they'd buy it there. Even better, this has the prospect of being the subject matter for an award-winning diorama at the Nats--as long as the idea of whale milking doesn't excite too much prurient interest and require the whole thing to be surrounded by barbed wire, armed guards and IPMS morals proctors.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

in article snipped-for-privacy@news1.west.earthlink.net, Mark Schynert at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote on 10/8/04 12:22 PM:

This could open up a whole new realm for Az!

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Milton wrote concerning whale milking:

Now that you have mentioned his monicker, one can now recall the phrase of "being lower than Whale poop (edited) at the bottom of the sea".

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

Saw an article yesterday where Toyota were using a plastic substitute made from plant products for their cars- a bio-plastic... and you can probably eat it too! :)

Reply to
Ian

If that's so there are many model railroad layouts with the same problem. Using spaghetti for piping is an old trick. Once wet it can be formed into almost any shape needed.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'd like to know who is going to be brave enough to grab a whale's teat.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller