Ot: 2 Military art questions

Hi all,

I appreciate that this is not an art forum, however the pictures' subjects are military history (aviation) so I'm hoping someone here will know what I'm asking about.

I am looking for prints or lithos of two aviation art pictures I have seen in various books in the past (if I could just recall which books, I could do my own research).

Anyway, one picture is WWI, western front. A flight of RFC aircraft (Bristol Fighters I think) is fighting off an attack by a German squadron (Flying Circus possibly). The RFC is flying from right to left with the rear gunners blasting at diving Germans. I can recall the image itself, but damned if I recall the title or artist. Anyone out there know the reference?

The other picture is WWII, Pacific theater. It is a picture of a US B-25 blowing the hell out of a Japanese transport or supply ship. Again, the image is clear, but not the title or artist.

Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
SamVanga

" You might be better off doing a Yahoo search on something like military prints aviation world war or something similar.

Reply to
Val Kraut

Try alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Reply to
H. Simons

Hello,

I've tried that a couple of times. I seem to get a massive number hits that all tie into one company (don't recall the name now). And, the few otehrs I have looked into tend to have the same dozen or so images. When I get an artist's name however, I have much better luck.

Reply to
SamVanga

I think I remember that painting. Robert Taylor wasn't it? You could go to the library and look through old issues of Air Classics, Air Power, etc. to come up with some pics. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

THAT'S IT! Many thanks! "Air Apaches on the Warpath." Now I just need to find a cheaper copy ($295 seems to be the lowest so far).

You are just being mean now. I not only live in a small town, it is in the Pacific NW. Most of the people around here don't even know there were two world wars (well, among the younger set who order books for the stores and libraries anyway).

Reply to
SamVanga

Well, you're probably interested in stacks from the seventies. See if you can go into the bowels of the library and look around. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Good luck! Buffalo has a pretty good library system with a large assortment of books and magazines, unfortunately magazines like Fine Scale Modeler, Air Enthusiast, Scale Models and such were beneath their radar. Lots of magazines on model railroading, however. One score that was good was the Journal of American Association of Historical Aircraft. Up until about 1990, they had a ~lot~ of three-views and photos. After that, they went to a newsletter format that was text only. Their magazines covered a lot of really obscure stuff.

The Old Timer

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (SamVanga) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

Depending on how close you are, there are IPMS chapters in Spokane, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Boise (I think), and Vancouver BC. There's even a show going on in Vancouver on October, where you can bump into and quiz all sorts of old-timer model guys who may have just what you're looking for. All a matter of taking the time to get there and asking.

Reply to
Warlok

Get a load of this, I'm not exaggerating. Every single time I've known about a regional/local event in my area, I'm on shift (for the last three years).

I work in a shift based, 24/7 job so my schedule sucks. Obviously I get days off, but I try to tie them to scheduled time off to visit family etc. who are nowhere near me. I just keep hoping someday I'll get lucky witht he schedule .

Reply to
SamVanga

i used to get shit faced...oh shift based, oops.

Reply to
someone