OT: Hogan's Heroes Marathon on TVLand Now - 2pm PST

gonna spend the afternoon evening with Klink!

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

it must be me, but after about 20 minutes, i've had enough. that happens with a lot of so-called golden age shows. once it's back in that well worn groove, i'm done. i was all excited to go on a man from uncle show blitz. had the 2 litres of fresca, bottle of percs and a bag of salty and crunchy, i was ready! then about 20 minutes into the giocco piano assault, i was losing interest. so i flipped to a different episode. same result. i plugged in the saint, same thing. then i pulled out the big guns, gilligan's island. 20 minutes in i was counting the holes in the wallpaper pattern, looks like i had televitus and couldn't take anything old. it all seemed trite and formulaic. i wonder if there's cure and can i get my vintage back. anyone got any advice?

Reply to
someone

vening with Klink!

that really annoying Russian spy is on now. gonna go watch Adam-12 on Netflix for awhile but building models with these shows on works for me - just enough background noise and I don't have to pay attn to the show as I've seen them 100 times each.

Craig

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

yeah, i watch shows over and over when i build also. i've seen every grim adventure of billy and mandy 50 times. i reccomend them highly. never was an adam12 fan. but 50 was gone. dan him, booko!

Reply to
someone

vening with Klink!

We do seem to get to a point where we're overloaded. I can't watch any of the shows I grew up with anymore. I just read, model (and I've slowed way down there too recently), surf the web. TV has become an overpriced, IQ draining bore recently. Maybe just step back from all TV for a month or so, and come back fresh.

Reply to
eyeball

evening with Klink!

Ditto that. Almost the only time the tv is on, is for background noise. That or I put on some moldy oldies while I build.

Reply to
eyeball

i spend too much time alone, so i use it for background life. harlan ellison was right about people using tv to fill out empty spaces. it keeps me from machine gunning crowds when they get pushy.

Reply to
someone

i listen to old radio shows i did during the 80's. makes me feel like teagan is still around to make fun of.

Reply to
someone

Disgruntled postal worker? Or have you found a way to get gruntled???

Reply to
eyeball

Try watching NBC prime time. For myself, I couldn't get that far into a Gilligan episode even with the girls on there. I'd rather watch 'Flo' sell Progressive car insurance. My big guilty secret is catching "The Lone Ranger" shown on the local religious channel. I've probably seen every episode 300 times in the past 50 years but the music, the 'Hi-yo Silver' and the 'Who was that Masked Man?' still give me goosebumps. Do I like Westerns? Heck, yeah.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Which local religious channel? Do they show any other classics?

Reply to
eyeball

john brunner coined the word mucker in 1969. basically, it's to run amuck and kill indiscrinately. you know, macdonald's, postal workers, that college guy. muckers. great word. tv keeps me from being one. postal is 1980's.

Reply to
someone

i cannot deal wiyh current "drama" tv. lost, 24, csi? pukeorama for me. there is nothing i can relate to in any of them. just watching ads for 24 makes me ill. people swallow that crap? they like it, they relate, they give it credibility? no wonder the world's in the toilet, idiots run everything and i hide in the desert. reality is such a downer, dude. old westerns are almost religious in their sanctity of form. they have a winner and stick with it. small doses for me, but i must have them. i wish sky king was on. dvd's are not the same. bring back commando cody and the lost planet airmen. who else can fly to the moon in full daylight all the way?

Reply to
someone

wgod, all god all the times. now with more pious power and sanctimonius cleaning!

Reply to
someone

49 from Red Lion, Pa. Can't recall the call letters. They used to show "Daniel Boone" at 4PM but lately it's just been religious drivel. There was one show where the woman was trying to poke holes in Darwin. Big deal, I can poke holes in the Bible too but I wouldn't. I have too much respect for it. Just because there are lapses in it does not make it unworthy of study, or belief. About a year and a half ago "The Cisco Kid" showed up for awhile. The thing that POs me is the clods who sponsor these shows ignore the places left for commercials and poke them in where they feel like it. I'll be hanged before I'd pay $159 for the snake oil and herbs pushed by that skinny shrew.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

first syndication of star trek had the last 1 minute cut in every episode. what it did to trouble with tribbles was a good example. it ruined the episode completely. i called the local station and offered to edit free...

Reply to
someone

When I first got a VCR I went amok and taped any and all Westerns available. There were times when I could have used several machines and a gross of tapes to cover all the possibilities. 20 years ago were the golden times on cable. None of the networks owned any of the cable channels and they could play all kinds of goodies. AMC had no commercials and had plenty of time to play old industrial films and ancient commercials for cars. I got to know and love old Tim Holt Westerns and found he had quite a career. The closest he got to an 'A' movie was "Stagecoach". He was the Army lieutenant leading the escort. IIRC, he also was the lead in "I Was a Teenage Nazi". I nevver watched that one. Yep, "Sky King" had the horses AND airplanes. Wow, what more could Wee Willi ask for? One modern show that fails my understanding is "The Office". Why in the world would anyone want to work all day for idiots and then come home and re-live it with that? At least "Are You Being Served?" is funny if you want to see the boss mocked. It's a shame no one re-runs "Space Patrol". The FX were cheesy but the stories were pretty good.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

or that show heinlein wrote for, the kids space patrol one. again, cheesy but good. tom corbett? man, you know you're lazed out when you won't google. oh crap, that vince asshole is looking like the new billy what's his name guy that shills for eveything. billy maize or corn or whatever. kill them all!

Reply to
someone

Vince the sham wow guy is actually pretty cool, in an I feel dirty for saying it way. He's been getting lots of respect for lawsuits against the church of scientology.

Reply to
eyeball

I think I know the station you mean, thanks. I was a few years late for those shows (I'm 40) but I still love them. I remember catching Lone Ranger reruns at 4 am years ago. I say take off all this low quality japanimation crap thats only designed to sell toys, and put on some good stuff like those for the kids.

Reply to
eyeball