OT: Is the D-Day Museum in New Orleans gonna get hit by the hurricane?

How close is the museum to the coast, but since the city is already below sea level it may not matter. Maybe those Higgins boats will come in handy again...

Craig

Reply to
who me?

A better question would have been the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola -- that one was nearest and would really suffer more as it has a number of outside display aircraft.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Reply to
chip

i'd be more concerned with the national naval aviation museum and the uss alabama.

Reply to
WAR EAGLE

Craig :-)

Reply to
Craig

Maybe God is not a Republican after all. :) Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

I'm worried about the Naval Air Museum, but not the USS Alabama. I don't think Ivan was firing 16 inch shells. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

Pensacola seems to have gotten well and truly whipped last night. Funny, even though the storm hit Alabama Florida still suffered the worst. 'Somebody' doesn't like Florida this year.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

any news about the museum ? I am going to be crewing a DC-3 we are taking from St. Petersburg to Az and we are planning on a stop to visit it. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

The ship will be fine but there's a lot of aircraft parked in the vicinity that will suffer. The eye looks like it heading right for it. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Keeper wrote: : : The ship will be fine but there's a lot of aircraft parked in the vicinity that : will suffer. The eye looks like it heading right for it. : The last hurricane in the area damaged the US Fleet sub moored nearby (Drum?). The sub was closed and still listing when I visited the 'Bama before the Nats in Orlando. I hope they had the sub in better moorings this time. The last time the sub was pounded against the pilings that hold her in place, which sprung numerous hull plates.

Ironically, 'Bama was part of Halsey's fleet that encountered the the typhoon in 4/5 June '45, which was the storm that took the Pittsburgh's bow off...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden