OT: Lloyd Bucher Dies - USS Pueblo 1968

Here is a guy who got royally screwed, as did all the pueblo crew for that matter. I still say the whole story of the Pueblo affair was never dug out.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Reply to
jerry 47

Jerry:

The decision was not the Navy's.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I spoke with him a 2-3 times in the course of my duties a couple years ago. He was an inherently good man and did his duty to the best of his abilities in a difficult situation and after being literally abandoned to his fate by a political decision.

At least he is now at peace and is free from all the hounding, harassing, and second-guessing he was subjected to over the years.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

He was sent out on a dubious mission with no protection. The NKs realized it and took his ship. After the fact the support arrived; before the fact a standing patrol of A-4's or a destroyer in shooting distance would have averted any attempts at boarding. And when he got back, the admirals stiffed him because he didn't scuttle his ship, kill himself and the rest of his crew. The British have a saying: "If you can't take a joke, don't join the Navy."

Reply to
Tom Cervo