OT: Lloyd Bucher Dies - USS Pueblo 1968

Here is a guy who got royally screwed, as did all the pueblo crew for that matter. I still say the whole story of the Pueblo affair was never dug out.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
I was in USS Enterprise CVA (N) 65 when the Pueblo was taken. We went to the area with many other ships, including another carrier. I went up to the 013 level observation deck and saw ships everywhere, horizon to horizon. I've never seen that many ships in one place, except in WWII pictures. We steamed around for three weeks and then left the area. My crewmates and I could not believe that with all that naval power (plus planes from Japan and other areas availbable) we were going to leave the Pueblo crew to their fate. That was when I decided not to do twenty. The Navy disgraced itself. Jerry 47
Reply to
jerry 47
Jerry:
The decision was not the Navy's.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
I spoke with him a 2-3 times in the course of my duties a couple years ago. He was an inherently good man and did his duty to the best of his abilities in a difficult situation and after being literally abandoned to his fate by a political decision.
At least he is now at peace and is free from all the hounding, harassing, and second-guessing he was subjected to over the years.
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
Reply to
Bill Woodier
He was sent out on a dubious mission with no protection. The NKs realized it and took his ship. After the fact the support arrived; before the fact a standing patrol of A-4's or a destroyer in shooting distance would have averted any attempts at boarding. And when he got back, the admirals stiffed him because he didn't scuttle his ship, kill himself and the rest of his crew. The British have a saying: "If you can't take a joke, don't join the Navy."
Reply to
Tom Cervo