OT: Ping e

Been up to ripping my 800+ CD collection...just about done, should finish this afternoon. Only took about a week and a half after I discovered that my external drive is faster than my new internal one. Thought I was going to be at it for a month or so.

Will probably do it twice - not satisfied with the sound of mp3 on my Maggies...may have enough space left on this one drive to go native .aiff as well, we'll see...

Reply to
Rufus

what software you using? all mac stuff? and don't believe the bitsnobs. higher is not better. depends on the variables and the encoder doing the work.

Reply to
someone

I'm just using iTunes...but I'm also using AirTunes and a wireless repeater to relay from my net to my component stereo in my living room instead of the CD player. I ripped the mp3s at 192.

What I notice most is a drop in the dynamic range...I'll try just a few as full rez and A/B to see what I get before I commit.

Reply to
Rufus

i suggest you get better software. hit a mac group for what to use. you really can do MUCH better than that.

Reply to
someone

Yup. That's what I'm thinking. But I'm really surprised at how little space 800-odd CDs takes up at 192kBps...only about 50Gig. That's fine for iPodin', so I'm glad I did this first.

Just want better for the hifi.

Reply to
Rufus

considering how crappy ipods really are, 192 is a good rate. but you can make them sound a whole lot better. i bet you have almost zero midrange even on a good player? my mac guide got himslef dead last year, so i have no one to leech software from. don't bother with lossless. ape's aiff's, flacs ain't gonna help on an ipod. what heaphones did you get for it?

Reply to
someone

heh...I don't even have an mp3 player yet, but I need one as part of my guitar gear. Mainly for dragging songs to practice and whipping out when the rest of the band goes in some lame direction. We just plug iPods into the PA to work out covers. It's convenient. From what I've seen iTunes works better on a Mac, and the Mac and PC versions don't talk to each other very well...it likes to drop the ID3 tags in the cross-plat.

I also have all my CDs databased, so I drove out a .pdf report and gave it to the guys to let them know where my roots are. Unfortunately, we're pretty dangerously close to being able to play in public...need a bit more infrastructure and one more set and I'll be workin' three jobs...another band wants me and my guitar as well.

Reply to
Rufus

This is pretty late to warn you, but make sure your Windows auto-update check system is shut off if you are online while doing this to get song info off of the web. It was checking for updates around every five minutes when I did this and it screwed up a lot of the songs during conversion to MP3s by dropping out while looking for updates.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

just remember me when your rich and famous.

Reply to
someone

Win-dose? Been an exclusive Mac user since OS 7...

Reply to
Rufus

...I'm hoping I only get rich.

Reply to
Rufus

don't like mark chapman's?

Reply to
someone

...and by now I know better than to indulge in the groupies as well.

For some reason I seem to be getting a disturbing amount of attention from 20-something girls of late (at least I think they're 20...ick...) that I find disturbing. There's some new waitresses where I eat Sunday breakfast one of them about tripped all over herself after I confirmed that that was my bike outside...I expect it'll just get worse after our first gig. Go on, take the money and RUN...

Reply to
Rufus

Girls from broken families searching for father figures?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

...seems like around here they're searching for fathers...to be.

I think it's a small-town-in-the-middle-of-nowhere thing.

Reply to
Rufus

not like the old days when a phone number on a pair of panties just meant a fun night.

Reply to
someone

You got that right...

Reply to
Rufus

you could have an instant family. in this town, if you look single and breathing, some girl will be happy to have you raise and pay for someone else's kids. usuall 2 or 3. different fathers, too. welcome to the bastard state. nothing legit here.

Reply to
someone

I feel sorry for women in that situation, as few guys are going to be interested in someone who seems to be that careless about sexual matters.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

sigh....