OT: POLL, 1024x768 or 800x600 ?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080401030503030908050102 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Which resolution do you use? I want to optimize our website to the more popular of the two.
--

**GOT JETS?**
popular of the two.

1024X768

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
1280 X 960 on my brand new 19" flat panel- it was on sale, and SWMBO decided this was a better investment than more decals or paint!!! Am I the luckiest guy in the western hemisphere, or what?
--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

1280x720 on the 21" monitor at home (browsing with Mozilla); 640x480 on the laptop (browsing with IE); 800x600 on the 15" monitor at work (browsing with Netscape). No matter which resolution you "optimize" for, it's going to be wrong when I look at it somewhere...
Better to simply design for any browser, IMHO. Here's how: <http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign.html .
--
Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.

Don't optimise for any specific resolution unless it's some sort of minimum resolution - in doing so you are cutting out part of your intended audience. Also, anybody can change their specific browser's behavior and undo all of your intentions.
What you want to do is design your web-pages to be seen by as many people as possible. Browser or hardware-specific websites are a pain in the nether regions.
John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)
John Hairell wrote:

I'll back John on this. I must have the smaller of the two as I occasionally run into sites where I have to pan back and forth to read everything. It gets old fast.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Might I suggest making your website for both versions? A simple javascript routine can detect the user's screen resolution and then act accordingly. I'm currently doing this for a website I'm building, using javascript and php. If it's 800x600 or lower, table widths are limited to a certain size and images are taken from the "800" directory on the server. If it's larger than 800x600, generally 1024x768, wider tables are used and slightly larger pictures are taken from the "1024" directory. It seems to be working quite well.
Just a thought.
-Tony

Unless the user chooses to use his screen real estate in some nonstandard way (see my earlier post in this topic). HTML was designed to mark up information, not to provide for pixel-exact control of what the user sees. The idea was to let the user control as many aspects of viewing as possible. Using resolution-specific designs suberts that goal.
--
Harro de Jong

snipped-for-privacy@togo84.com wrote:

That, IMHO, is one of the worst JavaScript applications I'm aware of. It forces me to do something that I rarely do (and hate doing) - run the browser window at full-screen.
Besides, what do you do about people who usually use their computers for word-processing and have turned their flat-screen monitors 90 degrees, thus running at 600x800 or 768x1024?
As I mentioned earlier, it's far better to design the page using standard HTML than it is to try to please a fraction of the target audience. Limit your table withs with percentages, not pixels, and you only have to write one copy of the page.
--
Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.
Harro de Jong wrote:

*and
IE, Netscape, and Mozilla. But I'm open to suggestions.
-Tony

There are a few more (Opera, iCab), but I think checking in Mozilla also gets you reasonably close on the other browsers.
--
Harro de Jong

"Harro de Jong"wrote

I might as well check with those too. It doesn't take much effort to check, and I'd rather do it myself now than have a user find a problem.
-Tony
snipped-for-privacy@togo84.com wrote:

You can go here: http://validator.w3.org/ type in the URL and it'll validate your code, if it passes through that OK, it should render on most browsers.
Rab
--
The Miniature Motor Company - Scale model cars
http://www.miniaturemotorco.co.uk

check,
Thanks, Rab. Looks like a useful tool!
-Tony

True. Even so, don't forget that even with the "same" browser (let's stick with Mozilla here) a page will look different on a Windows based PC, a Mac, and a system running Linux. They do render slightly differently.
[stuff snipped]

Where I work that's what we call the "Microsoft method", i.e. using users to find problems.
John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)
snipped-for-privacy@togo84.com wrote:

Well, except for Opera, you've covered the major Windows browsers. When do you plan to check it out with a Macintosh, or a PC running Linux?
--
Rob Kelk Personal address: robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
Any opinions here are mine, not the Government's.

Isn't the Mozilla code very similar for all those platforms (so if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all)?
--
Harro de Jong