OT: POLL, 1024x768 or 800x600 ?

Which resolution do you use? I want to optimize our website to the more popular of the two.

Reply to
dave999

popular of the two.

800x600 would be ideal as it caters for some laptops which can't quite get to 1024x768 without panning.
Reply to
The Raven

1024X768
Reply to
Al Superczynski
1280 X 960 on my brand new 19" flat panel- it was on sale, and SWMBO decided this was a better investment than more decals or paint!!! Am I the luckiest guy in the western hemisphere, or what?
Reply to
Jim Atkins
800x600 as it's easier on the old eyes.

Reply to
Ron

1280x720 on the 21" monitor at home (browsing with Mozilla); 640x480 on the laptop (browsing with IE); 800x600 on the 15" monitor at work (browsing with Netscape). No matter which resolution you "optimize" for, it's going to be wrong when I look at it somewhere...

Better to simply design for any browser, IMHO. Here's how: .

Reply to
Rob Kelk

Don't optimise for any specific resolution unless it's some sort of minimum resolution - in doing so you are cutting out part of your intended audience. Also, anybody can change their specific browser's behavior and undo all of your intentions.

What you want to do is design your web-pages to be seen by as many people as possible. Browser or hardware-specific websites are a pain in the nether regions.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

Reply to
Grandpa

in article S_ycb.12900$gv5.5769@fed1read05, dave999 at snipped-for-privacy@lvcm.com wrote on 9/25/03 4:57 AM:

Which resolution do you use? I want to optimize our website to the more popular of the two.

I usually use 1024 x 768 on my 17" monitor.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Dave,

14 and 15 inch monitors were popular in the days of low powered graphic cards (2 and 4 MB cards were HOT!), - roughly synchronous with Win95/Win98. Now with even entry level systems having 32MB graphic cards as minimum, most systems have 17inch or 19inch monitors, and 1024 or 1280 is the norm on most Win 98SE and later systems I see. The newer XP systems I see have 64MB to 128MB cards commonly. Of course, there's a lot of old timers out there still using old systems, but gradually they're wearing out and needing replacement. The systems too... ;) If you're collating results, I use 1280 x 960 Good luck with the site! Chek
Reply to
Chek

1024 x 768.
Reply to
Rufus

I'll back John on this. I must have the smaller of the two as I occasionally run into sites where I have to pan back and forth to read everything. It gets old fast.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Might I suggest making your website for both versions? A simple javascript routine can detect the user's screen resolution and then act accordingly. I'm currently doing this for a website I'm building, using javascript and php. If it's 800x600 or lower, table widths are limited to a certain size and images are taken from the "800" directory on the server. If it's larger than 800x600, generally 1024x768, wider tables are used and slightly larger pictures are taken from the "1024" directory. It seems to be working quite well.

Just a thought.

-Tony

Reply to
<tony

Just make a website readable on all browsers... Currently 1024x768, though if I can get the money together, it's getting replaced with a 1440 by 900.

Reply to
EGMcCann

snipped-for-privacy@togo84.com wrote in :

Unless the user chooses to use his screen real estate in some nonstandard way (see my earlier post in this topic). HTML was designed to mark up information, not to provide for pixel-exact control of what the user sees. The idea was to let the user control as many aspects of viewing as possible. Using resolution-specific designs suberts that goal.

Reply to
Harro de Jong
1024x768 on my laptop and 1280x1024 at home on my LCD screen.

I suggest 1024 x 768 for your website.

Reply to
Vodnik

That, IMHO, is one of the worst JavaScript applications I'm aware of. It forces me to do something that I rarely do (and hate doing) - run the browser window at full-screen.

Besides, what do you do about people who usually use their computers for word-processing and have turned their flat-screen monitors 90 degrees, thus running at 600x800 or 768x1024?

As I mentioned earlier, it's far better to design the page using standard HTML than it is to try to please a fraction of the target audience. Limit your table withs with percentages, not pixels, and you only have to write one copy of the page.

Reply to
Rob Kelk

IE, Netscape, and Mozilla. But I'm open to suggestions.

-Tony

Reply to
<tony

snipped-for-privacy@togo84.com wrote in :

There are a few more (Opera, iCab), but I think checking in Mozilla also gets you reasonably close on the other browsers.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Well, except for Opera, you've covered the major Windows browsers. When do you plan to check it out with a Macintosh, or a PC running Linux?

Reply to
Rob Kelk