OT:Surviving B-29s

Back in 1969 I was a minor participant in the recovery of B-29/P2B-1S "Fertile Myrtle". She flew the airshow circuit for several years before being retired due to corrosion in the tail and a lack of title to her engines (along with the four extras).

She is now owned by Kermit Weeks. Her nose was in his museum in Florida where it was seriously damaged when the museum collapsed in Hurricane Andrew. The rest of her is in storage.

"Myrtle" was the mother ship for the Douglas D-558.2 Skyrocket. When she returned to flying it took a B-50 center fuselage to replace the highly modified original.

I don't know if anyone here is interested in the story. Let me know and I'll jot down a few paragraphs.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Do you have any photos/information on the modified fuselage for the D558-2 program? Thanks! Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

If you are asking me, the answer is yes.

E-mail me and I'll see what I can do.

Tom Young MAI/ESM 72

Reply to
Maiesm72

I'll pull out my notes and post the results here. Enough folks here replied to make the effort worthwhile.

There are tons of photos, but I don't have a scanner at present. Anyone who would like a few pages of copies let me know and we'll work something out.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Two uncles who flew the B-29 during the war. One uncle was in the B-29 that they are trying to rescue from the bottom of Lake Mead, he has made several TV news appearances about it. Would love any material you have.. Doug

Reply to
a0002604

A quick trip to Lycos.com rendered 1049 hits under the heading "Lake Mead B-29" HTH

The Old Timer