OT:Trip to Udvar-Hazy Smithsonia Center

Darn my luck, but I've got a 7.5 hour lay-over at Dulles Airport in a few weeks. And since I will have my camera with me, I plan on wandering over to the Udvar-Hazy museum. However, I've got two questions about the trip that I hope others can answer-

1)I know that Dulles is within 2.5 miles of the museum. Is it realistic to walk from Dulles to the museum or should I plan on grabbing a taxi for the short trip?

2)Can I expect to get good shots with 200 speed film or should I take

400 speed to compensate for dim lighting?

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Blakely

Bill I have been to the U-H center twice. I think it would be a tough walk - there are no sidewalks. However there is a hefty parking charge so if you catch a cab have him drop you off outside of the payment collection point. It's really in the middle of nowhere so I wondrer if anybody has ever walked to the museum?

James Philmon IPMS/USA 12047

Reply to
James Philmon

Definatly catch a cab or you will have no time to see it and get back thru security to get your flight. 400 speed would be a better bet. Have fun!

Reply to
Flyink

You can use 100 ASA as long as you have steady hands :)

I've been there about a dozen times photographing, and the real killer is the lighting !!! The color is a strong tungeston, but if you use the tungeston setting on a digital camera, it will still be off. You need to set white balance manually, and or shoot in RAW format, and adjust WB later. Dealing with contrast will be your biggest problem on the whole. Be prepared to bracket important shots. Best time for photography is around closing. I've been able to photograph my fav's with NO people in the picture at the closing time on several occasions :)

The Ju 52, F3F and Boeing 377 just stole my heart away :)

Sadly, it seems that the docents/information people didnt get their job's based on personal kowladge, I caught one telling people that the Ar 234 had afterburners, and ejection seats !!! (quitely corrected him when everyone was gone) They have no one there who knows the in's and out's of the WW II aircraft maching gun/cannon display. (not like me at least, I know about every weapon there) A terrible shame that they have quite a few very unqualified people there giving out information !! They also have the Huges AIM 47A Falcon missle (for the F 108, YF 12A) mislabled as an AIM 76. I know they reapinted this, as I have pic's from Garber facility from years and years ago, and originally this exact round was lettered correctly (AIM 47A)

When you look at the Mig 21 there, I've sat in that aircraft :) Same with the Ford Trimotor at the A&S museum downtown..........

Azzz1588