Painting in the Winter Tips

OK, It's cold here in Colorado and will be for the next 4 or 5 months.
I have the airbrush and the rattle cans and have a make shift paint
booth in the garage but it is, I believe, much to cold to paint out
there in the winter months. I was wondering how modelers in this
climate handle their painting during these cold months and how
different paints react to being applied in lower temperatures.
Thanks and happy holidays!!!
Reply to
yoeleven
Move the family to the garage. Living in the cold will build character and what better way to bond than huddling together on those long cold nights. Or you could move to Florida. Remember, what ever does'nt kill you makes you stronger. Paint indoors! Scott There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
Reply to
SnJmodprod
I have to airbrush in the garage too. I use a kerosene heater to warm the garage to the sixties or low seventies. Depending on the temp and wind it can take a couple of hours to get to the comfort zone so I move my truck outside and start the heater as early as possible.
Good luck Scott
Reply to
SJL
i've seen small wood stoves in catalogues for under 100 bucks with flues. i reccomend a woodstove because it's fast, really heats and fuel can be free if you have a pu or trunk you don't mind getting chips in. put it in right and you'll be happy.
Well, I'd definitely do it indoors. Snowflakes leave marks on a glossy finish. ;-)
Ed No matter how high or great the throne, What sits on it T'is the same as your own.
Reply to
RobbelothE
Flames & petroleum-based solvent vapors? Doesn't sound like a good idea. Do you take special precautions? Ed No matter how high or great the throne, What sits on it T'is the same as your own.
Reply to
RobbelothE
Nothing I'd consider special precautions. The heater is place at the end of the garage near the car door and my homemade spraybooth is near the other end. I also use a hepa air filter placed slightly behind and off to the side to help circulate the heat (and pull any fumes away from me - and the heater). If I'm going to be doing a great amount of spraying I will put a small fan on low in the rear window of my garage. I've been doing it for years without any problems (knock on wood!)
Scott
Reply to
SJL
I have a room inside the actual house.......
yoeleven wrote:
Reply to
Ron
If I have to spray something I wait for a sunny day and do it on the back porch. That works well if the temp stays above freezing. Much below that and I wait for Spring.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
I'd cordon off an area of your basement and hook up an exhaust fan to your dryer hose. That's cheaper than a garage heater but I'm not familiar with your situation. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Reply to
Keeper