B-17 tailwheel well cover

Hi. I'm working on Revell's very nice 1/48 B-17G. Could anyone suggest a
material to model the tailwheel well cover? From photos it looks like
leather or canvas. I'd prefer a simple, found-around-the-house solution. I
considered epoxy putty, but I'm not sure that will work well.
Thanks for the assistance.
Cheers,
Reply to
David E. Young
David asked:
Epoxy putty will work. How about tissue and white glue?
Rick
Reply to
OXMORON1
Tissue and white glue. Hmm; interesting. Can you please describe the technique? It is as simple as diluting some white glue with water, dipping the tissue into the solution, then shaping it?
dey
Reply to
David E. Young
David saked:
Yes Lad! You have described the method. Commonlyl practiced by the armor and diorama guys. Water cleanup is great for we slobs. Cheap, errors easily corrected.
Rick
Reply to
OXMORON1
makes those canvas covers to hide bodged canopies really easy.
"someone" wrote about tissue and white glue:
You too?
rick
Reply to
OXMORON1
coitainly. i seem to have the ability to make every possible building mistake there is. twice.
Gift tissue stiffened with white glue.
"David E. Young" wrote:
Reply to
Ron
It works better if you also add one drop (no more) of dishwashing detergent to the mixture.
Reply to
Joe Jefferson
works great with armor too! any mistake is easily covered by an OD tarp.
Craig
Reply to
who me?
I did the Roden 1/72 PKZ-2 and couldn't get one engine to sit straight for the life of me.
Enden up covering it with a tissue/white glue tarp with a Hat Industries Austrian soldier pulling it off. Another soldier stands guard while an officer, suitably modified, is in the barrel, both hands gripping the rim and a look of sheer terror on his face. :-)
My wife calls the thing a 1918 Cuisinart.
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
How about consistency? 50/50 glue water? I'll try the dish detergent also...
Cheers, David
Reply to
David E. Young
I use roughly 30% white glue to 70% warm water and a couple drops of liquid dishwashing detergent. For some reason Palmolive works best. It's also a great mold release for cold cast resin molds.
I use a small custard cup for the mixture. Once it's dry (hours to a day depending on the atmosphere) it can be painted.
Good luck,
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
Got me, I've done it so many times I just mix and go.
"David E. Young" wrote:
Reply to
Ron
Ok, everyone. Thanks a bunch.