B-17 tailwheel well cover

Hi. I'm working on Revell's very nice 1/48 B-17G. Could anyone suggest a material to model the tailwheel well cover? From photos it looks like leather or canvas. I'd prefer a simple, found-around-the-house solution. I considered epoxy putty, but I'm not sure that will work well.

Thanks for the assistance.

Cheers,

Reply to
David E. Young

David asked:

Epoxy putty will work. How about tissue and white glue?

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Tissue and white glue. Hmm; interesting. Can you please describe the technique? It is as simple as diluting some white glue with water, dipping the tissue into the solution, then shaping it?

dey

Reply to
David E. Young

David saked:

Yes Lad! You have described the method. Commonlyl practiced by the armor and diorama guys. Water cleanup is great for we slobs. Cheap, errors easily corrected.

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

makes those canvas covers to hide bodged canopies really easy.

"someone" wrote about tissue and white glue:

You too?

rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

coitainly. i seem to have the ability to make every possible building mistake there is. twice.

It works better if you also add one drop (no more) of dishwashing detergent to the mixture.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

works great with armor too! any mistake is easily covered by an OD tarp.

Craig

Reply to
who me?

I did the Roden 1/72 PKZ-2 and couldn't get one engine to sit straight for the life of me.

Enden up covering it with a tissue/white glue tarp with a Hat Industries Austrian soldier pulling it off. Another soldier stands guard while an officer, suitably modified, is in the barrel, both hands gripping the rim and a look of sheer terror on his face. :-)

My wife calls the thing a 1918 Cuisinart.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

How about consistency? 50/50 glue water? I'll try the dish detergent also...

Cheers, David

Reply to
David E. Young

I use roughly 30% white glue to 70% warm water and a couple drops of liquid dishwashing detergent. For some reason Palmolive works best. It's also a great mold release for cold cast resin molds.

I use a small custard cup for the mixture. Once it's dry (hours to a day depending on the atmosphere) it can be painted.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72