Pancho Barnes, her life and times.

Recently picked up a book from B&N book store called "The Happy Bottom Flying Club, The Life and Times of Pancho Barnes" by Lauren Kessler. VERY good reading, and tremendous story. If it wasn't true, no movie writer could have conceived it. (She was also a movie writer, and co-author of the movie "Test Pilot' staring Clark Gable.)

Absolutely unbelievable life, going from one of the richest women in the country, to her ultimate end. But, it was true. Pick it up for some good aviation history and just darn good reading. Price at B&N was $19.00, and well worth it.

Charlie

Reply to
roado

I just went to

read about her life (a brief synapsis to an unusual woman). I think I'm in love.....

The Old Timer

Was Pancho involved in any way with the Barnes Aviation FBO at Fox Field in Lancaster, CA? Or any of her family?

Reply to
Rufus

Yeah, Old Timer, there is good info here, but it only scratches the surface. There were so many things in her life that would have made great movie material.

The story of how she and five friends signed onto the ship and went to Mexico, (mentioned in the article) and the resulting chaos and adventures alone would be a helluva movie, with enough adventure and comedy to fill several hours.

And the photo of her in the article. Taking her picture changed the photographers life forever and secured his livelyhood for the next 60 years. She changes many lives.

She and five other women flew to the East coast to get Duncan Renaldo (later to be TVs "Cisco Kid") out of jail before he was deported. And he had no Latin blood in him, but as I recall, was from Romania!!

Get the book and see how really interesting she was, and have a great time reading it.

And Rufus, it was her son, Bill that had the interest in the airport in Lancaster.

Charlie

Reply to
roado

Thanks.

And I've also heard rumors that the Jawbone Canyon store is built on part of her old ranch...true?

Reply to
Rufus

I believe they did do a movie starring the girl who married on of the Van Halen's. captain OD

Reply to
Captain OD

Yup. Valerie Bertanelli played Pancho.

Reply to
Rufus

In one of the biggest miscasting fiascos in decades.

Bertanelli is terminally cute and can do a good job of acting. She bore no resembelance whatsoever to Barnes, even though she studied the character quite intently. She just couldn't overcome the dissimilar characteristics.

One gawdawful piece of junk. If you are teptet to get a copy just turn the sound off and sit back with a cold brew and enjoy Bertanelli.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

and a real stinker it was. typical made for tv when simple acurracy would have been much more interesting.

could say that of all her made for the sludge pump movies.

...anyone besides me ever notice that Eddie and Val look like fraternal twins?

Yuk.

Reply to
Rufus

eddie who?

Eddie van Halen, her ex-husband. Probably came from living together so long.

The Old Timer

she has no taste at all.

You don't know that; she might just taste ~fine~!

The Old Timer

i haven't seen her lately. she still hot?

You'd do better with "I Was A Mail-Order Bride". That red bikini... *yow*!

WinBear

Reply to
WinBear (Bob Horton)