Panda's 1/350 Arleigh Burke: My $.02

I am about 75% done with this kit and my impressions are that you better be ready to fill a lot of seams. The superstructure especially was a rather poor fit. The detail is on the soft side and you have to deal with the dreaded molded on chains and all those "Rivets" on the hull (They are used for painting over the side, I think). Overall I would rate this somewhat lower in quality then the DML Spruances and CGs. On the other hand, "Hey it cost less then $20.00 !". This kit makes what I would call a good desktop model, a good gift to a modern tin can sailor. I think beginning modelers would like it also as it does go together easily and has few delicate parts. If it's a museum or contest quality model you want be prepared to do a lot of work or pass it up for one of the resin kits out there.

Reply to
Joe Drees

T. Hendriks

My stepson just reported to the Burke a few weeks ago. He seems to like it a lot. We are going to visit him soon; I will try and take lots of pics and post them on my Imagestation account. Just go to imagestaton.com and search members for bludden...but they wont be there for a few weeks...

I bought this model and it does seem easier construction wise than the DML type offerings. I was interested in the BWN (?) kit originally but its pretty expensive. This model should do nicely for my needs, a small display of his ship and my old sub in 1/350 scale (BWN 640 class SSBN converted to the 620)

Reply to
Wedge