Panel lines on Apollo CSM model

Advice needed.

I'm building the Revel 1/48th Apollo CSM kit. The halves didn't fit quite right and I had to use some filler. Because I am ham-fisted at sanding, I've removed some (raised) panel lines on the SM exterior.

How do I get the lines back? Scribing will look wrong and I am an amateur at this.

Cheers!

O-man

Reply to
Obviousman

The exterior detail is completely wrong anyway - the kit depicts a Block I version which never flew in space. If you want to convert it to the Block II then New Ware does a PE set which would do the trick. I confess I've never used the company myself but they are spoken of very highly in the space modellers' group.

Website at

- just scroll down to item NW007.

Reply to
GordonD

">

If memory serves me right - the Block I units were used for early tests in Earth orbit, they didn't have some equipment needed for missions to the oon - the Block II units flew the Lunar Missions.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

I should have said they were never flown *manned*.

Reply to
GordonD

To be honest, I am not that concerned that it's a Block I SM and I am already using the Real Space Models CM interior; it's the actual scribing replacement of ANY lines that are there.

How do I do that?

Reply to
Obviousman

I'd be stretching some sprue and gently gluing it down to where the panel lines are missing - you might need to remove more of the lines to get back to place that looks best for a thickness change. If you're not up to stretching sprue, then try the thinnest Evergreen rod you can find.

Good luck with it...

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

Reply to
Obviousman

RobG wrote: : Obviousman wrote: :> :> How do I do that? : : I'd be stretching some sprue and gently gluing it down to where the : panel lines are missing - : Plastruct makes plastic rod down to 0.010, which is smaller than Evergreen goes. Problem is finding the stuff...

If you want to scrib new panel lines, use "Dymo" labeling tape (the really, really, thick stuff), and make plenty of light passes until you are fairly certain the scribing tool will follow the scribed line, and not skitter off, leaving you with a gouge to fill...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden