Plastic model magazines

Don, Rod & Custom Magazine started running a monthly feature about model car building in 1958, the last year of the famed "little pages", meaning that we HS kids could sneak a copy of R&C into study hall, folded up into a textbook!!!). R&C kept at model car and slot car racing coverage until late

1963, when they brought out "Rod & Custom Models", which ran through 1964. Car Model Magazine hit in, I believe, 1963, published by Oscar Kovaleski Jr--owner of Auto World, the mail-order hobby shop (and son of the man who produced some of the very first scale model car kits with plastic detail parts, right after WW-II). Model Car Science and Model Car & Track magazines followed right on the heels of MC, in late 63-early 64.

In 1964, "American Modeler", now long gone, stared putting plastic aircraft model articles in the magazine, the first article being done by none other than the "First Lady of IPMS", the late Doris Reeves, with pictures and drawings by the late Alan Bingaman, both from right here in Lafayette, IN.

Scale Auito Enthusiast came out in August 1979, now known simply as Scale Auto. There was also a short-lived model car magazine, International Modeler, published out of Los Angeles in the late 70's, as well as a couple of issues of Scale Auto Modeler, from Challenge Publicatins.

In addition, there was an excellent hand-done format "magazine" of sorts, the bi-monthly newsletter/journal of the old International Association of Automotive Modelers, published out of Chicago by Tim McLaughlin, the founder of the organization.

Plenty of old print matte has been done over the years.

Reply to
biscaybe4151

Scale Modeler wasn't the only practitioner of ne plus ultra.

In those days every British air magazine with a scale model section praised every single British kit to the stars. They could do no wrong. That changed with the arrival of Scale Models who gave critical and fair reviews, sometimes with suggestions to correct errors.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Sorry but I can't agree with you.

I regularly read RAF Flying Review and Air Pictorial throughout the 1960's and both were as critical of British kits as they were of anyone else's. Airfix Magazine was not, initially, allowed to be critical of Airfix products but was fair in its reviews of other companys' kits. They later became quite critical of Airfix although they were diplomatic in their approach for obvious reasons.

Reviews of American kits were not unfairly adverse and I can remember some glowing reviews of quite a number of them. As most American kits were in

1/48 scale or larger, I didn't buy many and preferred to keep to 1/72nd scale as I still do.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Who could _forget_ it? Spelling it, now that's another matter... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

for old kits.:-)

Well,....I remembered your name.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I have all of the RAF Flying Review, Flying Review Internatonal, Air Enthusiast and Air Internatonal issues. I'll pull some and refresh my meomory.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Reply to
Ol' 45

I have gotten a real kick out of all this nostalgia as well. Not long after the thread started I was looking thru my stash for something and came across an old cardboard box marked "Model Builders Club" and postmarked with a Parents Magazine postmark. No date for some reason. I think this was something that my aunt had signed up for in the late 60's, early 70's. I can vaguely remember receiving a few of these boxes back then.

Inside I found a Monogram P-39, a P-47D "Bubbletop" and a sheet of Superscale decals - item 48-2, so this must be one of the earliest Superscale sheets. I don't think the decals came with the club.

Well to make a long story even longer, I started the P-47 last week and it is coming along nicely. The decals are a little cracked, but I hit them with some MS liquid decal film and they went down pretty well. Doing "El Chuhauhua". I will post it to a.b.m.s in a few days. I will need to scratch a tail wheel and gear. I guess if I was a "real modeler" I would try and find an aftermarket tail gear, but what would be the challenge in that?

Reply to
M Stanley

You'd probably enjoy my "Scale Modeling Nostalgia" Yahoo! group:

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Ol' 45 wrote: .

Do you mean the ones powered by CO2 cartridges?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Hi Don, No, these were just "shelf" models. One was a "reversed" delta shaped and very "flat" with a horizontal fin and two stabilizers at the rear. As stated it was wide at the front and tapered to a narrower aft section, as I recall it had a bubble type canopy toward the front and a spear like "pitot tube" sticking out of the front. It was "pre-shaped" (read roughly) and consisted of about five pieces in total: a fuselage, canopy (balsa not clear) and the three fins. There was at least one other in the series but I don't recall much about it. I think they cost a dime each. Ol '45

Reply to
Ol' 45

Shoot! I meant vertical fin not horizontal!

Reply to
Ol' 45

I remember the first issues of "Scale Modeler" and later its clone "Military Modeler." They seemed great at the time, what with articles by George Lee, David Boskanski, and Mike Dario in them.

As to the quality drop, it was only much later when talking with the late Bob Lessels that he pointed out Sid Chivers (head of Challenge Publications) was a notorious tightwad and did not pay for articles written for the magazine, or if he did it was peanuts and then he reran them later (as he held copyright) ad naseum.

I also took "HisAirDec News" and loved it, as well as another new magazine from 1966 -- "AFV News" by George Bradford out of Canada (still going strong after 40 years!) and later IPMS USA with the British IPMS magazine for the first couple of years.

Later other magazines came out like the one from Almark and finally in

1982 "Fine Scale Modeler." Unlike "Scale Modeler" FSM has survived for 24 years as the only true omnibus modeling magazine in the US due to fresh content and good editing, as well as good production values and tight demands on photo quality. (PS -- hey, Sid -- they also PAID their authors!)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne