Plea to kit manufacturers

I wish kit manufacturers would NOT design kits so that one must mount tailwheel assembly BEFORE gluing fuselage halfs together. One must then
mask off the tailwheel assembly AND the fuselage interior in that area. This can be a real pain.
Kit mfgs frequently say to paint all parts before assembly. I can only do that if the mfgs will make kits with PERFECT fitting seams. Never had a kit like that. Most of us sand, fill, sand and prime seams!
So design kits where tailwheel (or nosewheel) can be inserted AFTER fuselage is joined and painted.

and to add to the list any antenna or pitot tubes that may stick out. I tape down some leftover sprue over the pitot tube to hopefully not break it off. but it does make sense to leave all the fiddly bits to the last stages of building.
Craig
add to the list any antenna or pitot tubes that may stick out. I tape down some leftover sprue over the pitot tube to hopefully not break it off. but it does make sense to leave all the fiddly bits to the last stages of building.
Craig
I coat those fiddly bits with super glue and it strengthens them greatly.
Mark

I use Silly Putty to cover them and it works fine. So far have been able to get a good fit, good joint, paint the parts and have them survive the overall painting and finishing operations with no major glitches.
Cookie Sewell
My wish is for the parts to build airplanes with the gear retracted - the way airplanes are supposed to be...
Jack G.

You're about 35 years late for that. Although I agree that's how planes look best, it's a shame to leave out all the detail in a modern kit, and resting on their belly on a shelf looks odd, unless you want them permanently on a stand.
Hang mine from the ceiling...
Jack G.
wrote:

You're about 35 years late for that. Although I agree that's how planes look best, it's a shame to leave out all the detail in a modern kit, and resting on their belly on a shelf looks odd, unless you want them permanently on a stand.

remember when every kit came with a stand ? and it sometimes seems that the landing gear doors are made to be glued to the struts and do not always fit when building a kit wheels up...
Craig
Musicman59 wrote:

I can recall writing to Revell and bitching about the loss of the famous swivelling stands.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Musicman59 wrote:

Not only did they come with stand, but they weren't plastic- they were balsa, pine, or basswood :-)
They never had landing gear if they were a retract aircraft. Only fixed gear planes came with wheels. One painted canopies and windows with whatever color you felt best represented glazed areas.

the
Jack G wrote:

But when I go to airports to photograph them for reference photos, I find they have the landing gear down :-)

Listen for a loud noise. Look up. Take pic. No gear! ;)
eyeball wrote:

Yeah, but when I stand in the middle of the runway to get closeups, they always chase me away :-)

Maybe a pet bird and a tiny camera?

As long as it's not a Canada Goose......
Don Stauffer wrote:

...not to mention that trying to do that could get you pinned face-down on the tarmac these days...
--
- Rufus

I guess that scene in Wayne's World is not advisable....
Craig
jesus what a dumbass-who follows instruction sheets?
Man just cut one of the tabs off the gear and superglue the remaining one in place-you just have to set the model up so it dries in the right position--now say thany you for the advice