Propeller & Spinner Colors

Does anyone know how the 2 propellers/spinners on Hurricance and Spitfires were painted?

Thanks

Stan Parker

Reply to
Stanley Parker

Black, with yellow tips.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

For the props I would agree, however with regard to the spinners there were a few variations depending on Squadron, time period in question and theatre of operations.

The following link will give you colour schemes for every Squadron of the RAF up to recent times....

This next link shows the colours for just 126-140 Squadrons and you can see a wide variety of colours in use on both the Spit and the Hurri.

HTH

Reply to
Larry Green

Stan,

All prop blades were black with yellow tips.

Prior to November 1940 the spinners were black. Afterwards, they were Sky, along with a Sky fuselage band (some a/c carried Sky Blue spinners and bands, however, so check sources for particular machines). When the new Day Fighter camouflage was introduced during August 1941 all spinners/bands were painted Sky.

These are official dates - a/c were repainted at unit level and there may have been some delay in carrying out these repaints.

Xtracolour X7 is a good match for Sky while Xtracolour X148 (Israeli Pale Blue) is a good match for Sky Blue.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
john

/../ Ah, missed the spinners! Thanks for the info, good refs for me too.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

The colours I mentioned were the official standards, along with the red spinner for those with desert camoulflage schemes, which I forgot to mention. Of course there were variations depending on squadron and individual pilots (the red and white spinner on Stanford Tuck's Hurricane, for instance). The problem with the rafweb site is that they don't show serial numbers. I would always cross reference colour profiles before using them as a scheme for a model anyhow.

Reply to
john