Question, hopefully not too stupid

Architects normally work in units of 10s eg 1/100 scale according to a student I knew - This was the standard scale they used.

I said whit if it was a station building - why not 1/76.2 scale

Reply to
Martin

that why you like those oversized motorbikes?

Martin, Architects normally work in units of 1/12, 1/24, 1/48, 1/72 etc. which are derived from architectural scales. Mechanical Draftsmen work in units of 10s eg 1/100 scale. I'm a 12 year mechanical draftsman in the industrial combustion equipment field. However, I am well versed in the Architectural and Civil drafting fields. Of which Architectural drafting is kind of my hobby, as I enjoy designing floor plans and elevation drawings of houses.

I was just wondering how the different scales in modeling other than automotive modeling came to be accepted as "norm". I thank everyone for their incite to the subject. I have learned a lot, and understand a lot more.

Someone mentioned in a posted reply about "box scale", yeah, I remember those in the hobby shops when I was a kid. Came up with some weird scales, but I do remember all those boxes of the same size. I remember some of the automotive models the same way, the bodies were multi-piece so they would fit. (pain in the but to put together too!) I still have one of the Ford ranchero's too.

Anyway, thanks guys for all the input, appreciate it very much.

Mike G.

Reply to
Mike G.

Size matters...

I went an looked a 1/4 million dollar car yesterday - a Ford GT. Not the Mustang, the GT-40 re-issue. Man - that is one BADD ASS vehicle.

Too bad I can't afford one...maybe I'll get a die-cast...

Reply to
Rufus

( Al Superczynski ) wrote: " You can build 1/400 scale ships but have problems with 1/72 scale airplanes?? I sense some kind of disconnect here... "

Sooo you caught me on this , did you. I had hopes someone would Find the Humor in that. Thank you. ....... LOL

I just like 1/48 scale Airplanes a lot more that's it. I like 'em better in a Larger Size.

Everytime I see 1/72 scale Fighter Planes I get the urge to pick them up & "Fling-em" like Paper Airplanes to see if they will Fly. That has gotten me into trouble at times.

... Carl ..........

.

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

A brief look into what is really me
Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"

cyberborg 4000

It sure would at *my* house! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Actually, those early car kits had multi-piece bodies because the tooling technology hadn't yet been developed enough to allow one-piece molding for such large parts.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Mike G." wrote

In 22 years of mechanical engineering (aerospace/defense) I think I've seen barely a handful of 1/10 drawings. Most have been 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8; or

2/1 and 4/1. Smaller stuff I guess.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Yeah I know Kurt, actually I used more of the 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 scale too, rarely 2/1, 4/1 as my stuff was just too large, but 1/10 is considered an engineering scale whereas the other, 1/12, 1/24, 1/48, etc. are considered architectural scales. I have never seen any architectural drawings in 1/10, or multiples there of. When I transferred over to the manufactured parts division we dealt in decimal inches.

I still have my scales from drafting technology; Architectural - marked 1/12, 1/24, 1/48, etc. Mechanical - marked in tenths 1/10, 1/20, 1/40, etc. and Civil - marked in feet per inch.

My point being that in the drafting discipline 1/10 or versions of, is not considered an architectural scale.

Mike G.

Reply to
Mike G.

Don't know about snail-mail, but he's selling off his Hughes Hercules kits on eBay:

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

There is a kit coming from Polar Lights in 1/25th.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Well, I thought it odd but it wouldn't be the first odd thing I've read here.

Remind me not to invite you over. You don't also get down on the floor and roll model cars about, do you?

Bill Banaszak, MFE ;)

Reply to
Mad Modeller

In my early career I worked as a draftsman for two "mechanical" companies?one producing custom Diesel trucks and the other metal furniture and fixtures?and used the standard architects scale, measurements were usually converted to decimal equivalents for the plans.

Later when I was with a highway design section, we all used engineering scales that were in ruled in tenths. Highway dimensions are expressed as tenths etc. of feet.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

my email to you bounced...so, i got the box, i'm still laughing. i have parts for life. thank you very much, it was a good thing after my sad trip. thanks!

-e

How ironic that you of all people would get my email address wrong...

I think there are a couple complete or near complete kits mixed in there with all the other stuff. A Hawk F-5A minus its canopy, an Aurora N-156F with no stand or l/g, and a Revell He 219 at least.

Just sorting through it all should keep you busy for quite a while! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

In article ,

oh yeah. that was perfection. i used the spam catcher address...2 days in a non ac van cooked the old brain.

Knucklehead... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

In article ,

ah shaddup, you never been hot and exhausted? took till today to have energy.

I spent 20+ years in the Army. What do you think? ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

well, maybe. if you were like my dad, 20 of his 30 were spent on easy street. cncoic at a hospital.