Re: Stupid G question

Sorry about this stupid question but I can't really find a G scale(gauge) site

>to answer it, of course it maybe because it doesn't exsist. > Is there a narrow gauge for G scale that use O/O27 track. I guess Gn3 perhaps? >I'd like to do a simple 1 train G scale operation in the front yard (around the >shrubs and bushes). TrainWorld.Com has some nice sets for 139 to 159 price >range, but I need at least 30 to 40 foot of track. The cheapest I found was $3 >a foot. With about 200 foot of O gauge track sitting around, thought I'd ask >you'll if something like that exsists. >

G is already narrow gauge, the Bachman trains represent 3ft., the LGB usually metre gauge. Using 0 scale track would be close to 2ft gauge. A common Garden scale in the UK. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com, Longtailedlizard at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 7/6/03 4:34 PM:

Good question but it shows the confusion by referring to G as a scale rather than a gauge.

24" prototype gauge at 1:19.2" scale would use 0 gauge. That works out to exactly 5/8" scale but the Brits call it 16 mm scale.

You could check out

(36" prototype gauge on G gauge would use 1:20.3 scale, almost the same scale as 24" on 0 gauge)

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Damn Greg, Dahhhh, why the hell did'nt I think of that. (scratch building). I luv scratch building. I've done a "HO" armoured train, a "O" railway gun, (scaled up version of the ModelPower HO railgun), and did a "G" railway gun (leopold). Plastruct, here I come. Thanks Greg.

Longtailedlizard

I'm sure you know what you're doing, scratch building-wise, but just in case :-) I build my models as "boxes" in multiple layers rather than single thicknesses so that any outside panel has the edges of the inner supporting box stopping it from being pressed inwards. It saves big hands from collapsing my models. Modelpower did a railgun???

Reply to
Gregory Procter

G not a scale? Of course it is. You just defined it as one.

G scale = 1:22.5 [you were close] just like HO is 1:87.

The #1 scale 1.75"/45mm track used represents 1 meter gauge track. Actually 1 meter 1.25 cm.

If the same track was used for representati ""G" is not a scale, it is narrow gauge prototypes on 45mm gauge tracks. The scale is around 1:24 - 1/2" per foot."

Reply to
Eric

If you use O/O-27 tinplate track outside you're going to have a major problem unless you're planning on powering the trains with on-board batteries. That's because the track is made of steel and will probably be completely covered with surface rust within a week.

Eric

J wrote:

"I'd like to do a simple 1 train G scale operation in the front yard (around the shrubs and bushes). TrainWorld.Com has some nice sets for

139 to 159 price range, but I need at least 30 to 40 foot of track. The cheapest I found was $3 a foot. With about 200 foot of O gauge track sitting around, thought I'd ask you'll if something like that exsists."
Reply to
Eric

Thanks for the tip Greg, I'm always open to ideas and tips. Yes, ModelPower makes a HO scale "Big Thunder Railway Gun". Cat number 9163, along with things like a exploding boxcar, etc, etc. If you interested I can send you some pictures of them, or their posted on Yahoo groups, Lionel Layouts, and g scale scratchbuilders.

Longtailedlizard

Yep sure am, my son is into both electric and nitro R/C racing cars, we have many battery packs laying around (matched cells, at one time) and motors with a wide selection of wire windings that are no good for his racing competition, but would be great for running a train.

Longtailedlizard

Is the Model Power gun a scale model of a specific prototype?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

G is a gauge. 45 mm. 1.77". Also used to be called No. 1 gauge. It can be standard gauge (56.5"- 1:32), meter gauge (1:22.2), 3-foot gauge (1:20.3), 2-foot gauge (1:13.6), or whatever. It depends entirely on the scale of the models run on it.

See above. G is *not* a scale! A two-foot gauge model running on O-scale standard gauge (1.18" gauge)track, would be a 1:20.3 scale model - the same scale as a 3-foot gauge model running on 45mm track. The two are not, however interchangeable. To my knowledge, there are no manufacturers making such models.

Reply to
Gary M. Collins

=>See above. G is *not* a scale! A two-foot gauge model running on =>O-scale standard gauge (1.18" gauge)track, would be a 1:20.3 scale =>model - the same scale as a 3-foot gauge model running on 45mm track. =>The two are not, however interchangeable. To my knowledge, there are =>no manufacturers making such models.

There are a bunch of them in the UK, where it's called O-16 or something like that. (16mm =1ft, hence 2ft gauge = 32mm, which is O gauge.). AFAIK, most are cottage industriies producing mostly parts, but there are a few kits. Welsh narrow gauge, which is nominally 2ft, is the preferred prototype. Welsh ng is actually 23-1/2", but don't ask why. :-) European 760mm on O gauge track is the same scale, but I don't know of any mfrs in this scale/gauge combo.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It still is called # 1 gauge/scale.

Narrow gauge track has different proportions to standard gauge.

Try British manufacturers - there is a good market in narrow gauge on 32 and

45mm track gauges.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

There are a whole bunch of them - prices tend to be high.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

You'll notice I didn't ask about the authenticity of the exploding boxcar. :-)

Greg.

Reply to
Gregory Procter