Best scale model websites?

I have found FSM and Cybermodeler, and several commercial sites like Revell, Tamiya and the auction sites, but are there any that you folks could recommend? Thanks.

Reply to
unklbob

I use hyperscale.com modelingmadness.com aircraftresourcecenter.com

Reply to
eyeball

Reply to
FalconGuy

Depends on the genre. Missing Lynx is a great armor modeling site. FSM is ok for general modeling. HyperScale is good for aircraft and Starship Modeler is good for sci-fi. Track48 is good for 1/48 scale armor modeling and On The Way is a good site for 1/72-1/76 scale armor. Perth Military Modelling Site is a great 1/35 scale armor review site. IPMS is a decent, albeit sleepy site that tries to cover all genres.

I don't think I've found one "best" modeling site, although the regulars of any particular site will tell you theirs is the best.

Any site that tries to be the "best" at all genres of modeling normally fails to be the best in any one genre they cover.

All sites with a forum tend to have cliques that develop; some good, some not so good.

Your best bet is to try to figure out what genre interests you most and look for the best website that covers that area. Even if you are a modeler with varied interests, most of the dedicated sites still have a spot for some type of "off topic" modeling, usually a general modeling forum to ask about non-genre questions.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Thanks for the hyperscale link--seriously well put together and archived site. Most of the gallery shots are well beyond my abilities, but its something to aspire to.

Reply to
unklbob

I used to build everything, but I am sticking to WW2 aircraft for now.

Reply to
unklbob

As a follow up, can anyone recommend a really good site for ship models? I am most interested in the larger wooden sailing and warships, but all types are of interest.

Thanks.

Reply to
William Clark

William Clark wrote: : : As a follow up, can anyone recommend a really good site for ship models? : I am most interested in the larger wooden sailing and warships, but all : types are of interest. : Ship Model Mailing List (SMML), which is now a yahoo group, I believe.

yahoo kept "forgetting" me, so I stopped participating. But, it was a good group back when.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Thanks for this list, but what I am really looking for is the best retailer for these kind of models. Any advice?

Reply to
William Clark

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Bruce

Model Expo is a good ship modeling retailer. I get email sale deals from them all the time, I just don't build boats.

Rob Gronovius

I don't get around that much. I hang around at

part of the Kit Maker network. There are offshoot sites for figures, ships, aircraft, trains, cars, and misc.

If you are into Israeli stuff, there is

Due to spammers they limit membership.

Reply to
GaryKato