RAF Jaguar GR3's

You stock up model kits like a survivalist stocks up MRE's. :-D

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Hey Enzo - try these regarding O/B AIM-9

( OK - so it's an aqui - but the wiring must be there )

When were you on Jags / in the dump BTW? ( me 85 to 06 ! )

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

i've seen pictures....

Reply to
someone

Interesting. Thanks Ian. Take a look at the dates of those photos, 1988 and 1988. One jet is a GR1, the other a GR1A. At the time Jaguars were not cleared for flight with overwing pylons. As you are no doubt aware, that only occured during Op GRANBY (aka Desert Storm). The 54 Sqn jet admirably demonstrates the reasons. Inboard tanks and ordnance on the centreline. Sidewinders on outboard pylons... er... where do we fit the EW suite? There is no room for ECM and chaff pods. (There are ALE-40 flare pods fitted on the engine doors). The jet also demonstrates why the RAF moved over to precision guided munitions very quickly at that time. The bombs are 1000lb ballistic ones - probably the least accurate choice or those available. A Jaguar carrying a single Paveway would have a much greater striking power than the load shown.

Also, bear in mind that both those jets are seen at air shows. They may not necessarily carry representative weapons loads. During the 1970s, I used to regularly see Harrier GR3s at airshows which were carrying Sidewinders. It was only later that I found that they couldn't possibly have used them. The first ground attack Harriers only gained Sidewinder capability as a bodge job in 1982 while on the way down to the Falklands. The missile wiring was actually speedtaped to the outside of the outboard fairings!

The 54 Sqn Jaguar also demonstrates perfectly the use of Suncorite on the gun blast tubes.

I wasn't. I was never posted to Colt. Around 1995 the RAF amalgamated all Sidewinder missile servicing into two Regional Missile Maintainance Sections. The term "regional" was a misnomer as one dealt with the ground attack fleet and the other with the air defence fleet. I was in the ground attack RMMS from its formation until I left the RAF.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

your pile is really impressive, as is your built pile. i've never seen so many car models. damn.

Reply to
someone

Shame that our Crapologist never supplied any. Of course they may never have matched my imagination.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hmm, didn't remember showing them to anyone but J. Radke and Anthony H. Recently added a '37 Chevy convert to the pile. I was trying to E-bay it for a friend and got no bites. I looked at it too much and ended up parting with $10 for it. Isn't too much in the antique line that isn't a Ford. I think a 'chocolate and cream' colour scheme would look well on it. Just in car models I have far beyond the stock of the local (almost a) hobby shop. Heck, Michael's has far more than they do. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller