RAF P-51D Mustang

Would these aircraft cockpits be painted in USAAF Interior green or RAF Interior Green? TIA

Reply to
Darren Jones

While I have no firm evidence, I'd go with standard US colors. I've never heard or seen evidence of P-51 interiors repainted in this way. No point to repainting the aircraft interiors when they were needed "at the front" in a timely manner.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Hi, yes fair point, thanks for the info.

Reply to
Darren Jones

All aircraft supplied to Britain under Lend-Lease would have been painted in U.S. standard colors. In a few cases where camouflage was required the closest U.S. color to the R.A.F. shade would be substituted. Since all P-51 D (Mustang IV) aircraft were delivered in natural metal I believe the British re-painted the exterior after delivery if required, But I seriously doubt that they would have gone to the trouble of re-painting the interior with their proprietary interior green when it was very close to the U.S. color.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
Bill Shuey

I have stumbled into light hearted article from the Airfix website which starts off with interior paintwork:

John Halliwell