RAF Mistel

Never heard of one eh? Well, it was in the hypothetical class at the Nats. I thought it was slick:

Left hand side of the pic. I'm looking for the closeup I thought I took...8^)

Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I think I'll join the Keeper clan as I have an old encyclopedia from the '30s and in it is a picture consisting of three aircraft stacked, two flying boats and on top some light airliner for delivering mail.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

The Brits had a Ju 88/Fw 190 Mistel in UK markings on display after the war.

Don't know if they flew it.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Are you sure there were three aircraft? It sounds like the Short Mercury/Mayo combination. The slower long range Mayo was on the bottom with the faster short range Mercury on top.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

My personal Mistel favorite is the DFS 230 carried beneath the Bf 109.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Probably couldn't find anyone crazy enough to try. I suspect that even Lt. Cmdr. Eric "Winkel" Brown would have balked at that one.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

If only I had thought of it.........

Reply to
magpie

Which was a flying boat/floatplane combo. Obviously the Mercury was not landed back aboard. I assume it took a crane somewhere to re-unite them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Taking off would have been one thing, but landing it again without separation? I suspect the training versions had to separate to land.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

On the contrary, IIRC the British were the first ones to experiment with such "Mistel"-like combinations, and the Germans took the idea from them...

Argh. Please give that picture an extension, otherwise it's being opened as a plain text file on my browser... (in fact, fromthe URL I thought at first it was just the folder where the picture/s was/were stored)

Reply to
machf

Sorry you're having a problem, anyone else? I can send it to you via email as an attachment if you'd like or even better, check this out:

If only I had thought of it.........

Thanks for the follow on, Magpie! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I'm of the opinion that they would have flown it over the channel and landed it. Wasn't most of the captured equipment flown in for the shows?

Now Watson's Whizzers flew their collection of Me-262's to a port for shipment to the US. The Ju-290 A-7 was flown to the US. When the aircraft was broken up it was discovered that a Czech saboteur had placed a bomb in the wing which thankfully never went off due to a defective activating pin.

If you were a pilot wouldn't you volunteer to fly captured equipment across the channel or would it be easier to locate a sizable crane and barge for transport? Hmmm...

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Had to unpack the books and can I find the actual photo - arse! The top plane was a small light carrier, floatless. It might have been a "once tried better forgotten" combo or someone had a wedding cake in mind.

Still, I did find a suitable subject for a galleon modeller who wants to get into aircraft modelling (or the other way). It's the Nineplandem Caproni Hydravi. Recipe: take nine HP42 sized wings, get hold of a Mississippi steam boat and remove paddles. Fit wings as three sets of triplane, front, mid and back. Add engines and after a flight or two, burn the damned thing.

I love old books!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

IIRC that is the aircraft that gave rise to the infamous Bruce Beamish. He wrote in the old IPMS Quarterly that he needed donations of Aurora Gothas to use for the wings.

The Gotha was, at that time, the holy grail of models, and Bruce expected the donatons because his skill was far and away better than anyone else in or out of IPMS.

A jolly time was had by all.

Would it be possible to scan the photo and post it? If not, could you possibly photocopy the photo? Would be happy to send you a SASE and pay for the copying.

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Tom wrote:

But Tom, Bruce had to be better than everyone, he had styrene down to an exact science. Hell, he even made his own glues, custom mixed his own paints, silkscreened his own decals, he invented resin casting, he brought kit-bashing out of the dark ages. He was THE MAN. He even got paid for articles written for Stale Modeler. Too bad he has gotten OLD and is no longer the man he used to be.

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

Yep. That was when he lived in Cissily, Alaska.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Forget the RAF Mistel. I wanna know the scoop on that Tigercat!

Reply to
frank may

I've got to find the damned thing again. Now, all I need to do is to pretend that I'm not looking for it in a pair of encyclopedias that makes my legs go dead from the weight. Assuming it's in those two, that is. That's the trouble with keeping piles of old books for research for CGI work.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I was under the impression he's currently running Squadron. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

It was a racing version and quite well done. Sadly I don't have a profile view. Go to IPMSusa.org and check out the contest photos; there may be another view. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper